Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Ken Tanaka on October 16, 2014, 12:35:36 pm
-
Not an "XT-1", as it has been long and repeatedly mis-designated on this site. I really don't mean to seem a pedant but this is a detail that a reference camera gear site such as LuLa should get correctly, eh?
-
And while we're at it…Rollei is pronounced roll-eye, not rahl-eee.
:)
-Dave-
-
Not an "XT-1", as it has been long and repeatedly mis-designated on this site. I really don't mean to seem a pedant but this is a detail that a reference camera gear site such as LuLa should get correctly, eh?
And while we're at it…Rollei is pronounced roll-eye, not rahl-eee.
::) ::) ::)
-
Is it Nick-on, or N-eye-kon?
-
Is it a Canon or a Canyon?
-
And while we're at it…Rollei is pronounced roll-eye, not rahl-eee.
Nope, it's roll-eee.
Is it Nick-on, or N-eye-kon?
Pour les Anglais, c'est Nick-on, pour les autres c'est N-eye-kon
And to pre-empt any future discussion, Leica is pronounced L-eye-ka ...
-
Is it a Canon or a Canyon?
Neither, it's 'tired-of-waiting' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz64hWng2vM) ...
-
Originally it was Kwanon, named after an old Japanese Goddess. Interestingly, EOS, or Eos, was a goddess of the dawn.
-
Originally it was Kwanon, ...
Correct!
Interestingly, EOS, or Eos, was a goddess of the dawn.
Eos may be a goddess, Bill. But Canon's "EOS" stands for "Electro Optical System". (Reference (http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/history/canon_story/digest/1987_1991_digest.html))
-
Nope, it's roll-eee...
Say what!?
-
Nope, it's roll-eee.
And to pre-empt any future discussion, Leica is pronounced L-eye-ka ...
The residents of Braunschweig, where Rollei was started, will surely beg to differ on this. But you've got Leica right. :)
My first serious serious girlfriend, whose middle name was Frieda (pronounced freeeda), grew up in Heidelberg (not pronounced heeedelberg).
(Just to note: I'm quite aware that virtually everyone in the English-speaking world pronounces it roll-eee or rahl-eee. But as long as we're being pedantic...)
-Dave-
-
Jag-wire.
Jag-yur.
Who cares, just get me a tow truck..
-
Jag-wire.
Jag-yur.
Who cares, just get me a tow truck..
:D
-Dave-
-
But as long as we're being pedantic...
... never let it be said that we don't have a sense of humour. [/smile]
M
( and I guess, we'll now start on humor, color etc ... )
-
... never let it be said that we don't have a sense of humour. [/smile]
M
( and I guess, we'll now start on humor, color etc ... )
Is Manoli... Man...olly or Man...only? ;) :)
-
Is Manoli... Man...olly or Man...only? ;) :)
Stamper,
Keep the emphasis on the 'O' and you're there ... but I'm not sure how it sounds with a Scottish accent, try it with an Italian one ! [/levity mode still on]
M
-
And to pre-empt any future discussion, Leica is pronounced L-eye-ka ...
Sorry Manoli,
the correct pronunciation is Lay-ka with emphasis on "ay".
klick the play button above the map: http://de.forvo.com/word/leica/
-
Sorry Manoli,
the correct pronunciation is Lay-ka with emphasis on "ay".
klick the play button above the map: http://de.forvo.com/word/leica/
I hear L-eye-ka. Not that I'd necessarily regard de.forvo.com as definitive in any event.
Jeremy
-
I hear L-eye-ka. Not that I'd necessarily regard de.forvo.com as definitive in any event.
Jeremy
You heard it right, Jeremy. I think Valdo and Manoli are actually saying the same thing, just using different notation. "Eye" in Manoli's (and others notation) is meant to be pronounced the same as the organ of sight.
-
Not an "XT-1", as it has been long and repeatedly mis-designated on this site.
Once you have set the world right on that one, it's onto the bonus round: where do the dashes go in "OMD EM5"?
-
Once you have set the world right on that one, it's onto the bonus round: where do the dashes go in "OMD EM5"?
The dashes on my OM-D E-M5 never go anywhere.
-
Shouldn't this thread be re-titled along the lines, "Examples of Complete Silliness"?
What on earth is this forum coming to? is it losing its reputation as a serious, in-depth appraisal of photographic matters? I hope not.
-
Lighten up Ray. It is a little silly and no harm done. :)
-
Once you have set the world right on that one, it's onto the bonus round: where do the dashes go in "OMD EM5"?
...ahem...they're hyphens, not dashes.
...since we're all trying to be correct.