Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dwswager on October 16, 2014, 10:27:11 am

Title: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: dwswager on October 16, 2014, 10:27:11 am
I am currently using a 4Ft Werner fiberglass ladder to shoot using a monopod (in specific situations).  The problem is that the monopod gets rested on the top of the ladder while I am on the 3rd step (34" up) and the monopod is too close to my body.

I'm looking for recommendations for something fairly compact, that would give me 30" of vertical elevation and provide a forward platform for supporting the monopod?
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: NancyP on October 16, 2014, 10:50:59 am
Perhaps use a ladder that has a painter's shelf that folds out in front of the ladder? I haven't tried it myself. I use painter's shelf for holding tools, light bulbs, the lamp housing, etc for household repairs. They aren't the most sturdy shelves, but they are sturdy enough to hold a pan or bucket of paint. Take a look next time you are in a hardware store.
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 16, 2014, 11:24:09 am
I'm looking for recommendations for something fairly compact, that would give me 30" of vertical elevation and provide a forward platform for supporting the monopod?

Perhaps something mentioned here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=92711.0)?

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: dwswager on October 16, 2014, 02:00:41 pm
Perhaps something mentioned here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=92711.0)?

Cheers,
Bart

Nope.  I need something that puts the monopod out front of me by 6 or 8 more inches.  Or I need to buy a much longer monopod that can reach the ground from up on the ladder.
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: terence_patrick on October 21, 2014, 05:50:40 pm
How about two step ladders? Or an apple box?
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: Conner999 on October 23, 2014, 07:53:20 am
My suspicion is a short 2-3 step ladder, some Apple boxes gripped together, a strong folding table with the legs shortened, etc., and a longer monopod or equivalent (tripod w/legs collapsed) will be your best, most compact bet.  You could magic-arm a ballhead to a taller ladder, but any arm or other mount to a ladder could limit how fast you can shift the camera's position.
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: mcbroomf on October 23, 2014, 09:31:08 am
How about a ladder like this that has thin supports on the "back" side.  Cut a sheet of ply and screw in some stops so that you can make a platform one step up from where you're standing that will straddle the front step and back support.  May need a block to make sure it's aligned correctly.  The monopod sits on the platform anywhere you need it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-6-ft-Fiberglass-Step-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-NXT1A06/100662617?N=5yc1vZaq3dZ1z0sk0o
Title: Re: Help finding a suitable Photographic Step Ladder for Monopod
Post by: dwswager on October 23, 2014, 10:10:30 am
I currently use a Werner 4Ft Fiberglass Step ladder pictured.  Normally, I'm on the 2nd step up with the monopod resting on the black top.  I have been on the 3rd and even the very top before.  High School baseball and softball regulations in my area prohibit photographers on the field unless they designate an area and paint a circle in which the photographer must remain.  That circle is then deemed out of bounds.  And with sports, everything is up to the head umpire/official and some of them just don't want to deal with it.  Though in about 10 years, I have never been hit by a ball or interfered with a play. 

I'd like something a little more compact when folded.  I'd like something that was more vertical on the front side.  I'd like something with a platform out front (preferably flat w/o holes!). 

I seemed to have run across some monopod extensions before.  Maybe that is the answer for simplicity sake.  Then any stepladder or elevated platform would work.