Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: willc73 on November 27, 2005, 06:10:28 pm
-
I have read many of the reviews at luminous landscape and although I am going to demo several cameras next month I wanted to get opinions. I am a product photographer who shoots primarily in studio ( i know most people here shoot on location) . I have been renting digital backs for some time now and have used quite a few of them.
I have been considering purchasing either a h20 back or a h25 back for a while. The P backs don't interest me much because I have no interest in shooting untethered.
My dillema is should I save money and purchase the Canon 1 MarkII with a Cambo 35 and schneider lenses, or should I purchase an H25 and Cambo camera and schneider lenses. I will tell you the savings is very tempting and some reviews say it is indistinguishable.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
bill
www.bill-cahill.com
-
Bill
There is a difference. In the end it may depend on where your work is being published and what size, but the detail in a file from an H25 is quite good. I may be a Phase One employee and such, but there must be a reason so many top shooters pick the Phase One back, especially when they want to stand out. Also, you may want o look at the P systems. There are a number of them that dealers will have at good prices that have been loaners for people waiting for thier P30s and P45s. I have both a Canon 1ds II and a Contax P25 and when I have shot side by side there is a difference. The best way I can say it is micro-detail and dynamic range. Let me know where you are located and I can make sure you get pointed to a dealer that will help you make the right choice.
BR
-
Thanks for the good info. I will probably go with a phase one, I love the interface. I am just a cheap person at heart.
I live in Los Angeles. I deal occasionally with Calumet, but I hate the guy that runs the digital department there, he is such a little weazel. It is hard to spend that much money with someone you don't trust.
If you can recommend another place, that would be great.
Thanks
BIll
-
Might be worth having a look at the pro digital med format forum on Rob Galbraith, there are some serious pros shooting tight deadlines with both and there is a lot of infor there as to their stories and histories with using digital medium format.