Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: mbaginy on October 15, 2014, 08:22:08 am
-
Zeiss doesn't offer a tripod mount for their 100mm macro. Fuji don't offer for their 60mm macro.
Does anyone know of a company which builds one for any or both of those lenses? I've searched the net but not found anything worthwhile.
This is the reason I haven't bought either. I hate using a macro lens without tripod mount. I find it invaluable for changing viewing aspect quickly. A shame, that so many manufacturers feel, this feature is no longer necessary. Are they cutting cost? Then offer it as an accessory - like Canon with their 100mm macro. Luckily my 180mm macro came with a tripod mount - one of my favorite lenses, also due to that item!
I realize the RRS L-bracket would be a useful item. At the moment it's a bit frustrating having to pick up the things I've ordered abroad from the German customs office - and having to pay tax & customs.
-
Mike,
On the Fuji lens there really is no room for a ring clamp and tripod foot, and same with the Zeiss 50mm, both are much smaller than the Canon macro. Also the original Canon 100mm macro did not come with a ring and foot, you could add one but it was not standard.
Alan
-
Yes Alan, the manufacturer didn't allow room for a tripod mount. I'd like to think that they didn't deem one necessary but they may have never thought of one. I find it cumbersome to do macro work without a tripod mount.
When I used the Canon 100 macro, I placed an order with my local dealer. It took Canon Germany almost a year to supply the item! It seems that it was out of stock in Germany - this was some eight years ago.
There's a Germany fellow near Berlin who build handy items in small volume, also a tripod mount for a number of Nikon an´d Canon cameras but only for those, which are designed to have one mounted. He doesn't have a web site, couldn't handle an increase in volume. But his tripod mount is a delight to use with the 100 macro.
I now use Canon's wonderful 180mm macro.
A shame, that so few manufacturers find tripod mounts on macro lenses necessary.