Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on October 15, 2014, 07:36:48 am
-
Taken at the turn of the Year at Bowling where the Forth and Clyde canal meets the River Clyde about 12 miles West of Glasgow. Glasgow and that part of the West of Scotland was once a major trading port with the Americas. It was also the worlds largest ship building centre but now almost all gone. Since much of the trading was on the back of slavery (Cotton, Tobacco, Rum) the demise is a double edged sword.
Shot on Fuji XE-1 with Fuji 18-55 lens. Hope you like them. The ship common to both is a Clyde Tug.
I am biased as I was brought up very close by and can remember large numbers of ships on the Clyde and small boats using the canal to prevent the long and rough passage around the North of Scotland. (Nostalgic) Ken
-
Nice moody B&W images - what's not to like?
-
+1. Moody and sad.
-
I live only two miles from here and photographed it many times, possibly too many. These are as good as I have seen. The problem with the basin is imo it's too cluttered and picking out a particular focal point is difficult. These views are looking west. Possibly turning round and looking east and framing the wrecks from the muddy bottom when the tide is out is a good alternative. :)
-
Always a pleasure to see moody stuff like these, nice and contrasty and in the first one a little softer towards the horizon which works for me.
I'm enjoying these Ken, as well as the background info.
Regards, Sander
-
Very strong. The land of lost dreams.
Peter
-
+1. Moody and sad.
+2.
-
A portrait of decline and fall.
-
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Stamper I was brought up in Clydebank but now live in Cumbria so getting back is a 200 mile round trip. The low tide shot had to be stopped as the drizzle had turned to rain and the light was disappearing fast. I returned to look at alternative viewpoints and with better light. Unfortunately I did not look up tide tables so arrived at high tide so most of the interesting structures were underwater and would not appear before dark. So I wait for interesting weather conditions, correct tide height and free time to travel back here. Another shot from the high tide shoot. I really like the sky and reflections but the composition is not as nice. A merge of 3 shots at 2 stop intervals Fuji XE-1 Fuji XF 18-55. Still thinking about moving to FF if Sony ever produce a nice wide angle lens for A7R as the need to bracket everything to get decent DR is a little wearing.
Ken
-
Cool shots.
The good news is all those jobs are now in China and Korea powered by Australian coal.. :D
What a world.
-
Ken your last image is a winner. I live in Dumbarton, born and bred. Next week - before the clocks change - there will be a chance to look east on a low tide and capture a sunrise shot framing the wrecks against the rising sun if the weather permits. I haven't done it for a few years.
-
I really like those pictures and its somber mood. But I can't keep my first thought to myself: "Raberizing works in B&W as well" ;-)
Harald
-
Thanks for the information stamper. I am visiting a friend in Iona next week but should be back on Friday evening so Sat morning low water 8:01 sunrise 8:12 looks perfect Isn't Club55 brilliant. Just depends on the weather but we know that the weather here is always benign in late October.
Harlem22 "I don't understand your post" but I will look up Raberizing and see if I can make sense of it.
Thanks again everyone. On the last post of the portrait boat I think it looks false on the front starboard side as it looks as though you should be able to see a bit of the bow but can't, I could always clone a bit of boat in and see if it looks better.
Ken
-
...
Harlem22 "I don't understand your post" but I will look up Raberizing and see if I can make sense of it.
...
Excuse me for using acronyms which are not understandable for all. Raberizing is the dramatic enhancement of saturation and contrast and is a well-meaning side kick to the preferences of LuLa's publisher Kevin Raber.
Harald
-
The first image is really macabre, tells of (organic) decomposition more than of decline.
-
+1. Somber seems to be an understatement. Maybe, post zombie apocalypse? :) Seriously, both images are outstanding.
Bob
-
Thanks Harald I looked up Raberizing and found Kevin R's web site full of nice images. I use my own variation of a technique of boosting mid tone contrast I first saw used by Martin Henson and if used in extreme amounts gives HDR like effects if used in colour but gives loads of punch in mono. The tug in the pictures was very rusty having been surrounded by salt water for many years so didn't take too much manipulation.
I will look through my back catalogue for more moody/ gloomy/ grim mono shots and hope that Dawn on 25th Oct is spectacular but will settle for clear and dry'ish.
Ken
-
. Raberizing is the dramatic enhancement of saturation and contrast and is a well-meaning side kick to the preferences of LuLa's publisher Kevin Raber.
;D
That might stick..