Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on October 13, 2014, 07:05:20 am

Title: Stuck in the mud
Post by: KMRennie on October 13, 2014, 07:05:20 am
2 shots from Aug this year. River Camel in Cornwall. I am still trying to get my monochrome eye. I think that I am using too much contrast and the images are too dark but I await any comments but that is the way I am seeing it. Fuji XE-1 with Little stopper.
Ken
Title: Re: Stuck in the mud
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 13, 2014, 02:27:22 pm
Contrast looks fine to me (but I'm fond of contrasty B&Ws). They are a tad dark, though: I thought that about your waterfalls as well.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Stuck in the mud
Post by: francois on October 14, 2014, 04:25:39 am
Both are superb images and the sky is stunning - it adds "speed" to the scene.
Title: Re: Stuck in the mud
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 14, 2014, 11:21:24 pm
First one works great for me, thanks in part to the lighter sky background behind the mast.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Stuck in the mud
Post by: stamper on October 15, 2014, 03:41:55 am
Certainly not too dark. Both are first class images. It is nice to see contrasty B&W on display in the forum.
Title: Re: Stuck in the mud
Post by: KMRennie on October 15, 2014, 06:54:20 am
Thanks for the kind comments. The shots were taken within minutes of each other. I moved and waited until the bright patch of sky was behind the mast. I now prefer the second shot because of the foreground but next week it will probably be different. The first one prints well and may do well in competitions but who can guess the workings of judges minds.
Ken