Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on October 13, 2014, 06:52:39 am

Title: Alpine waterfalls
Post by: KMRennie on October 13, 2014, 06:52:39 am
Taken in Sep this year whilst walking in the Alps. Fuji XE-1. Unfortunately I was having to dodge the sun which was almost straight into the lens and the countryside made moving 20 metres to the side difficult.
I am trying to get my monochrome eyes back so any advice welcome. Ken
Title: Re: Alpine waterfalls
Post by: EricV on October 13, 2014, 12:18:40 pm
The first is particularly nice.  The second has too heavy darkening in three corners for my taste.
Title: Re: Alpine waterfalls
Post by: wolfnowl on October 14, 2014, 03:12:52 am
The first is particularly nice.  The second has too heavy darkening in three corners for my taste.

Sounds about right.

Mike.
Title: Re: Alpine waterfalls
Post by: KMRennie on October 15, 2014, 07:11:56 am
Thanks for the comments. Looking on my laptop the corners are way too dark.
Whether it is;
moving from a wide gamut monitor to a laptop or,
working in Gray Gamma 2.2 and then converting to sRGB or,
working with a 16MB file and squeezing detail out of shadow areas and then expecting the detail to be as visible in a 1050 px high image or,
it was too dark in the first place.
I will spend many frustrating hours trying to match what I know prints well to what looks good on a variety of monitors, my  monitors are profiled. I may look at working out how to get my wide gamut monitor to swiitch to sRGB that should help.
Any help gratefully appreciated Ken