Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: wmchauncey on October 08, 2014, 09:06:59 am

Title: Is it time for a computer upgrade?
Post by: wmchauncey on October 08, 2014, 09:06:59 am
I tried out the stacking tool that Adobe finally got working but it runs slow. The stack of 80, 22 MP images done yesterday,
took over an hour, I do not multitask while running PS.  I do have the performance almost maxed-out in Preferences.
Am using a HP Pavilion with a intel i7-920 Processor with 23 of RAM and 64 bit Windows 7 OS.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions directed toward increasing performance as much as reasonable, including computer up-grades.
Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 08, 2014, 09:52:42 am
Use a better tool. I use PTgui but there are others. See recent article: Stitching an advanced approach.

Edit. I'm sorry I read that as stitch. But it clearly says stack. Do you focus stack? Use a better tool. I use Zerene stacker but there are others.
Title: Re: Is it time for a computer upgrade?
Post by: PeterAit on October 08, 2014, 10:03:58 am
23 what of RAM - GB? That's an odd amount of RAM, wonder if you made a typo. But anyway, open Task Manager and monitor your core performance and memory usage during the process. If RAM usage maxxes out, it means swaps to disk, which slow things down a lot. If all (or almost all) or your cores are not busy, it means the app is not efficient at multitasking.
Title: Re: Is it time for a computer upgrade?
Post by: wmchauncey on October 11, 2014, 11:09:13 am
I was incorrect...it is 24GB of Ram and it does max out, even after making adjustments in PS CC Preferences.

Another point is, when Canon introduces a high MP FF body, I'm gonna get one. I can only assume that stacking
35MP images will be more memory intensive than the current 22MP images...right?

I have been using Zerene for about 3 weeks on my floral stuff and found that it does do a great job, except...it does introduce unacceptable noise.
Prior to that, PS CC was my weapon of choice, albeit, a lot of artifacts. Then it quit stacking at all.
But PS CC upgraded last week...the stacking works much better than before with virtually no artifacts.
As a side note, I took a stack from PP CC and Zerene and stacked them together...looked good.
Title: Re: Is it time for a computer upgrade?
Post by: mcbroomf on October 11, 2014, 12:51:05 pm
Before investing in a new PC you could buy an SSD and tell PS to use it as the scratch disk.  If it doesn't help enough it can still be transferred to a new PC (as PS scratch).
Upgrading to a 36MP camera is going to increase the file sizes proportionally from your 22MP camera.
Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 11, 2014, 01:41:35 pm
I forgot to mention. The single best upgrade to an old computer is an SSD. Like night and day in overall responsiveness.