Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: zippski on October 07, 2014, 10:57:50 pm
-
It had to happen. My trusty z3100 24" did not survive my recent move intact (even the though the move was super-careful and only next door to another renovated house on the farm). I began my first serious print job since the move (after running a successful purge and colour calibration).
My gloss enhancer ran out on the first print, which I replaced. Right away, the MK-R printhead failed. However, the replacement printhead will not reseat and the error message remains no matter how many times it is reseated. Next, the PK-LG printhead shows that it too has failed, and after a full day with HP service tech on site, the entire series of printheads now show a fail error on the LCD.
Tech seems to think it is a bad formatter board ($200), or possibly the whole print carriage needs replacing) ($1500)
I started to look online, and I can do the following:
1. Step up to a new 44" z3200 for as little as $3200 (and maybe trade my unit in)
2. Buy a refurb z3200 44" with 3-year warranty, full inks and extra paper for about the same, and maybe trade in
3. Fix my z3100 unit for maybe $200 plus $1000 service, (but maybe more!)
4. Buy a refurb 24" z3200 with a 3-year warranty for about $1700
I have a tough call here - I only have about 400 prints through my machine since new, but I have to replace a whole set of expired inks right now as well.
Leigh
zippski
-
A little over a year ago I had a similar problem with a z3100 I’d had for about 5 years. I decided that, looking forward, it was a better bet to start new so I bought a z3200 44” and it has been flawless in performance since. The printer is also able to use all the but the red ink cart from the z3100 so that was a plus and a notable cost savings.
-
I did the same as Justin, haven't looked back and printer is flawless.
Buy the new one don't take a chance.
I haven't regretted it at all.