Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jferrari on October 07, 2014, 10:56:45 pm

Title: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
Post by: jferrari on October 07, 2014, 10:56:45 pm
For those of you chopping your own aluminum frames: Does your double miter saw have an auto-oiler installed or do you just chop dry? I've spent hours trying to find a consensus on this but found none. Thanks.   - Jim
Title: Re: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
Post by: framah on October 08, 2014, 10:04:39 am
My Pistorius chop saw does have the auto lube feature but I never refilled it and as they are carbide blades, i really don't see enough difference to warrant me refilling it and having that fine spray slowly build a layer of sawdust all over the inside of the machine that I then have to take apart and clean.

Another thing is that if i want to chop wood after chopping metal and using the lube, I then have to get it off the blades so it doesn't get onto the miter cut on the wood thereby weakening the glue joint.

If you were only cutting metal on that saw then, yes I might keep using the lube.. especially if I'm cutting ALOT of metal frames.

But that's just me. ;D
Title: Re: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
Post by: jferrari on October 08, 2014, 07:38:21 pm
I have dedicated a saw to metal only but I know what you mean about the overspray collecting over time. Are you able to go directly from the saw to assembly without "detailing" the miters? Thanks.    -Jim
Title: Re: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
Post by: framah on October 09, 2014, 04:09:19 pm
I think I know what you mean about detailing...

There is a tiny burr along the outside edge of the miter and I just take one of my exacto knives and scrape it off. I have gotten very good and quick at it. ;D
Title: Re: To lube or not to lube, that is the question.
Post by: jferrari on October 09, 2014, 11:31:33 pm
I think the technical term is a "wire edge" and that is exactly what I was talking about. Somehow I thought that the cuts would be pristine right off the saw but it's good to know that someone else is experiencing what I am. Thanks for the help.     - Jim