Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on October 04, 2014, 09:30:46 pm

Title: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 04, 2014, 09:30:46 pm
Team,

Does this work for you? I am unsure about the balance of the composition this time around.

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3932/15442073232_d1ea009935_o.jpg)

For those interested in technical details, this is a 600 mega-pixels stitch made using the D810 + 400mm f2.8 E FL shot at f2.8.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: Bruce Cox on October 05, 2014, 10:16:53 am
I perfer loosing the bright neighbors as economically as possible.


Unrelated, I was surprised to see your jpg larger in my photoshop than it showed at LULA.  I wonder if other postings will do that.
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: RSL on October 05, 2014, 01:11:46 pm
I don't know whether or not it "works," Bernard, because I don't know what it's supposed to do.
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 05, 2014, 09:25:27 pm
Your feedback works, thanks. ;)
 
Thanks for the crop proposal, it is within 1% of my initial version.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: David Anderson on October 05, 2014, 11:31:11 pm
I don't quite get this one Bernard.
IMHO might be a bit tight to be a stand alone shot.

That said, it's hard to see the good side of such high resolution on a forum...
I read your article on stitching (thanks) and want to give it a try, but isn't the point to get more depth of field ?
Could the type of shot you've done above have been done as effectively with a fast lens and single frame ?
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 06, 2014, 08:17:04 am
I don't quite get this one Bernard.
IMHO might be a bit tight to be a stand alone shot.

That said, it's hard to see the good side of such high resolution on a forum...
I read your article on stitching (thanks) and want to give it a try, but isn't the point to get more depth of field ?
Could the type of shot you've done above have been done as effectively with a fast lens and single frame ?

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

Stitching can be used many different ways. Here I used the exact opposite effect from the one highlighted in the article. Showing how stitching can be used to increase subject isolation.

I could have used the Otus to shoot this, but:
- the quality of the bokeh is not as good IMHO,
- you end up with a resolution a lot lower for the same angular coverage.

Is 600 megapixels useful when you have only a tiny part of the image in focus? This is an interesting point to debate. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: jjj on October 06, 2014, 09:07:39 am
I don't quite get this one Bernard.
Nor me. Looks more like a random shot by accident than a deliberate composition and I quite like off kilter composition work.

Quote
That said, it's hard to see the good side of such high resolution on a forum...
I wonder too if size matters for this sort of thing.

Quote
I read your article on stitching (thanks) and want to give it a try, but isn't the point to get more depth of field ?
Not necessarily. I'd use it myself to specifically get a narrow depth of field with a wide angle viewpoint.
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: jjj on October 06, 2014, 09:12:36 am
Is 600 megapixels useful when you have only a tiny part of the image in focus? This is an interesting point to debate. ;)
No different from shooting on say a Nikon 810 with f1.2. No one would suggest using a 5mp camera instead because of the limited DoF in that situation.
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 06, 2014, 09:17:32 am
Nor me. Looks more like a random shot by accident than a deliberate composition and I quite like off kilter composition work.

It is pretty difficult to shoot 600 megapixel panos by accident. ;)

But I am totally OK with you not liking it, I am not sure I like it either (hence the request for inputs), thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: jjj on October 06, 2014, 10:34:30 am
But I am totally OK with you not liking it, I am not sure I like it either (hence the request for inputs), thanks for commenting
You don't progress unless you prepared to try things that may not work.
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: Brett_D on October 06, 2014, 12:59:02 pm
I see the potential, but as for this shot: looks like a lot of work for an image you could have achieved in camera with a single frame.
Title: Re: Blue bar - Tokyo
Post by: David Anderson on October 06, 2014, 10:26:58 pm
Showing how stitching can be used to increase subject isolation.


I can see some big potential in that.

Definitely time to give it a try..