Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on October 03, 2014, 08:55:36 am

Title: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: JoeKitchen on October 03, 2014, 08:55:36 am
Is the 120mm a lens that would work well for normal non-macro photography?
Title: Re: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: RomanN. on October 09, 2014, 06:13:29 pm
what rodenstock 120 mm do you mean and for digital or film use?
Title: Re: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: JoeKitchen on October 12, 2014, 08:27:11 am
The digital version. 

I was thinking about getting a lens longer than my 90mm. 
Title: Re: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: Paul2660 on October 12, 2014, 01:37:59 pm
Joe.

Have you considered the Schneider APO Digitar 120mm. The newer version not the macro, can focus down to around 3.5 feet. Lens itself is tiny buy still needs the back extension.  I believe the Rodenstock will need this also as their last lens that can be mounted without is the 105mm.   Schneider also has a huge IC of 150mm I believe.   Closest focus with rm3di is around 3.5 feet.

Paul
Title: Re: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: JoeKitchen on October 12, 2014, 06:43:46 pm
I have been doing more resort work lately and have found that my 90mm lens just is not long enough for some shots.  I am thinking about getting a longer lens, but thought the 120s only came in macro versions. 

This is interesting to hear that they do make them in normal versions; I will have to check out the 120mm more now. 

However, I am thinking that a 135mm may be better, even though I do not want to deal with the box. 

Maybe purchasing a 120 normal version would be best though, if they make them.  If and when Felicia & I buy an M Line 2, I could just let her purchase the 120 macro, since that would work best for food & drink photography. 
Title: Re: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: archivue on October 20, 2014, 04:05:38 am
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980709-REG/arca_swiss_50151300_rodenstock_135mm_f_5_6_apo_sironar.html (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980709-REG/arca_swiss_50151300_rodenstock_135mm_f_5_6_apo_sironar.html)

i think that 90 and 120 are a little bit too closed !
Title: Re: Rodenstock 120mm: Normal Focal Distances
Post by: [email protected] on October 20, 2014, 04:45:10 pm
Hy
I use the Rodenstock 120 mm digital for all distances up to 10 m.
I've never used it at  infinity, because I only use it on my technical camera in my studio.
It's very sharp (sharper than my 90) at all distances at f8 + f11 The image circle is huge!
I use it with P45+ and P40+.