Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on September 26, 2014, 03:19:27 pm

Title: The Point of the Spear
Post by: David Eckels on September 26, 2014, 03:19:27 pm
I would appreciate comments on composition for a shot like this. I tried it in B/W and decided I liked the subtlety of the greens and reds in this agave leaf. C&C welcome.
Title: Re: The Point of the Spear
Post by: petermfiore on September 26, 2014, 03:22:48 pm
I agree. This is a case where the color is almost absent but most essential...


Peter
Title: Re: The Point of the Spear
Post by: mal mcilwraith on September 26, 2014, 03:40:36 pm
David

I like the orientation of the leaf from bottom left to upper right.
I like the delicate colour transition.

If it was my image I would explore the addition of maybe a drop of water poised from the point of the spike,

or maybe I would change the camera angle slightly lower to capture the three dimensionality of this succulent leaf which might require a tweak of light direction.

I must admit I prefer people who challenge my images, I hope you appreciate the same response from I.


Mal
Title: Re: The Point of the Spear
Post by: David Eckels on September 26, 2014, 03:49:00 pm
I hope you appreciate the same response from I.
I do, that's why I posted it. Angles of view were constrained by how close I could get: no walking off pathway! And, no water in the desert ;)
I was interested in compositional concerns particularly because some seem to have very strong opinions about it and I wanted to see if this stood on its own. Myself, I like it, but always willing to hear other points of view.
Peter, thanks for the reinforcement on the subtle color transitions.
Title: Re: The Point of the Spear
Post by: mal mcilwraith on September 26, 2014, 03:59:37 pm
I have been known to add water drops from my water bottle - and no plant has ever complained about a small drink.



Mal
Title: Re: The Point of the Spear
Post by: Bruce Cox on September 26, 2014, 04:15:32 pm
I like the spear and your placement of it in the frame.  The background looks deliberate and definite.  It is also a standard accepted by many.  I'm just not one of them, neither the black nor its relation to the spear seem interesting to me.