Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: torger on September 26, 2014, 06:30:56 am

Title: Best CF card for Leaf Aptus?
Post by: torger on September 26, 2014, 06:30:56 am
The Leaf Aptus series is known for being picky about CF cards, and I know about this compatibility list: http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2246&languageid=1

However, with my Leaf Aptus 75, which is the most stable I've had of three e-boxes by the way, I still experience occasional write errors (broken scanline in the raw file in about 1 out of 500 files or so) when I use the "Sandisk Extreme 8 GB 60 MB/s" which is in the supported list, but as far as I know/remember I have not had any write errors when using the slower "Sandisk Ultra 8 GB 30 MB/s", which actually is not in the supported list.

That Ultra 30 MB/s is being replaced with a new version 50 MB/s, so I'm thinking about buying a few of the older cards while they're still obtainable. Feels strange though buying a card that's not in the supported list, but as I've had problems with an alternative that is in the list I don't really know what's best. I'm thinking that as the back is old and slow it might like a slower card better than a faster, and the reason it's not in the supported list may just be that Leaf have not run any tests with that card.

Any ideas? Any other Leaf Aptus users that have a favorite CF model which has worked trouble free for thousands and thousands of images?
Title: Re: Best CF card for Leaf Aptus?
Post by: Frederic_H on September 26, 2014, 09:15:34 am
The Extreme UDMA 60MB/s, 16GB. Their UDMA6 version (90MB/s) is also said to work pretty well with Aptus II backs, but I haven't tried yet.
Title: Re: Best CF card for Leaf Aptus?
Post by: Joe Towner on September 26, 2014, 12:50:37 pm
All the fun, technology moves forward without descent backwards compatibility.  I've picked up a number of UDMA6 cards while still available, even going as far as getting refurbs as I can at least be certain they're legit.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store?SiteID=sdiskus&Action=DisplayCategoryProductListPage&categoryID=67844300&resultsperPage=100
Title: Re: Best CF card for Leaf Aptus?
Post by: Hank Keeton on September 26, 2014, 05:30:06 pm
I've used the Extreme-Pro, 16-GB, 90/MB/s, UDMA6, in my Leaf Aptus-65 for several thousand clicks with no issues....

Cheers,

Hank
Title: Re: Best CF card for Leaf Aptus?
Post by: Graham Welland on September 28, 2014, 03:38:35 am
Hoodman RAW cards worked well with my Aptus back. However, not so well with IQ backs ...