Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Kevin Gallagher on September 23, 2014, 11:00:53 am

Title: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on September 23, 2014, 11:00:53 am
 I know it's kinda like saying what do you hate most about winning the lottery :D. But besides learning about it's features and controls, the thing I hate most is having to attach the darn strap!! I've always been kind of a butterfingers and it seems that no matter how many times I check the orientation of everything that I seem to have to redo it all at least once! It isn't all bad though, I've just received my brand new Olympus EM-1 from the friendly UPS man and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can before the wife & I head out to Utah for a 10 day trip. At the risk of being too commercial here the gang at B&H did a great job of getting it shipped quickly and it even came with a spankin' new high speed 32 gb card to boot. I hope to have some nice shots to share when we get back, hopefully there won't be any of the recent reclining seat drama on our flight  ::)
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: deejjjaaaa on September 23, 2014, 01:42:51 pm

> What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?


back then when I was still using those dSLRs

1) replacing focusing screens.. shims sometimes !

2) checking/tuning lenses (fixed / zooms) that they will focus properly under a daylight and under a tungsten light (and for zooms that includes wide - center - tele)

now, what a relief...
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: deejjjaaaa on September 23, 2014, 01:46:26 pm
I've just received my brand new Olympus EM-1 from the friendly UPS man and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can
check that you have firmware v2, then enable EFCS, test how spotmeter is metering when you shoot in raw (or tune blinkies), remember that EFCS is for a single-shot mode only, switch to raw (or raw+jpg)...
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 23, 2014, 02:49:23 pm
Discovering that it is still the same old photographer behind the lens? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: rpsphoto on September 23, 2014, 03:00:59 pm
Watching it plummet in price six months after I bought it.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: deejjjaaaa on September 23, 2014, 03:20:21 pm
Watching it plummet in price six months after I bought it.
mostly the moment you drive it from the parking lot !
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Jim Pascoe on September 24, 2014, 04:52:03 am
Actually - with my new E-M1 it was the strap too.  But not because of fitting it, but because it seemed unnecessarily wide for such a small camera.  I suppose like Canon and Nikon it's to provide an advertising space.  So when we were in London over the weekend we chanced upon a lovely old-world camera shop called Aperture and they had some beautiful leather straps on display.  My wife bought me one as a birthday present!  It has turned the camera from being another clone to being a thing of beauty......

Jim
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: mahleu on September 24, 2014, 07:16:35 am
Silly things like having to turn off the AF beep, allow ISO expansion and default to RAW.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: john beardsworth on September 24, 2014, 08:33:40 am
Waiting for raw support because the camera maker failed to offer DNG as an option.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: PeterAit on September 24, 2014, 10:02:01 am
Yes, the durned strap! The EM1 is a great camera, if somewhat complex. When I got mine a couple of months ago, I went thru the manual and made a cheat-sheet of the settings I would need to change most often. Maybe you'll find it useful. What lenses are you using?

Exposure comp               Lever at 1, front dial
Set ISO                   Lever at 2, front dial, OK
Manual/auto focus   Lever at 1, press AF, rear dial
Set WB                   Lever at 2, rear dial, OK
Change aperture in A mode   Lever at 1, rear dial
Change shutter in S mode   Lever at 1, rear dial
Lock/unlock exposure   AEL/AFL button
AF targets                   1. Arrow key.
                            2. Press Info
                           3. Up/down arrows, select size, # of targets
                              4. L/R arrows, change face priority setting
Self timer                   Lever at 1, press HDR, rear dial
Burst/single shots     Lever at 1, press HDR, rear dial (same menu as self-timer)
HDR bracketing           Lever at 1, press HDR, front dial
Metering mode               Lever at 1, press AF, front dial
Focus mode                   Lever at 1, press AF, rear dial
Time lapse                   Shooting menu 2
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on September 24, 2014, 10:12:45 am
 Hi Peter, I have only the Oly 17 F 1.8 and the Oly 12-50 F 3.5-6.3

Thanks for the list!!
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 24, 2014, 10:13:48 am
The certain knowledge that within a year it will be superseded by some all-singing, all-dancing super-camera with eleventy billion pixels & fully capable of photographing a black cat in a coal cellar, without need of a flash. That's why I'm keeping my D700 - to avoid that sort of disappointment.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: deejjjaaaa on September 24, 2014, 10:19:36 am
The certain knowledge that within a year it will be superseded
that did not happen w/ my E-M1 though... which is unfortunate  :'(
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: PeterAit on September 24, 2014, 10:38:31 am
Hi Peter, I have only the Oly 17 F 1.8 and the Oly 12-50 F 3.5-6.3

Thanks for the list!!

Utah is a great photo destination - I was there about a year ago and came back with many terrific photos. This was pre-EM1, I used a D600 with a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and a Nikkor 70-200 zoom. If you're interested you can see some of my shots at the URL below. If you are in Moab, try to get to The Edge gallery - really terrific photos of the area. I think the owner, Bret Edge, hangs out on LuLa now and then.

The main reason I got the EM1 was the great Oly 4/3 lenses that can be used on it. I have not been disappointed! I use the 12-60mm, the 50mm macro, and the 50-200mm. The last two are among the very best lenses I have used.

Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on September 24, 2014, 11:20:57 am
  Thanks again Pete, is it my imagination or does the Bryce Canyon Hoodo shadow look a lot like someone flipping the bird?  :)  We're heading out in a little while so i will be out of touch for a bit.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on September 24, 2014, 11:24:33 am
 Thanks to all who took time to reply!! I'm headed out to JFK now (pray for me :)) I'll pop in as I can. I DID end up renting a satellite phone as it appears that cell service is indeed spotty out there and I'd hate to be stuck in the dessert for any length of time.

   Best To All,

  Kevin in CT


Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: PeterAit on September 24, 2014, 11:37:46 am
  Thanks again Pete, is it my imagination or does the Bryce Canyon Hoodo shadow look a lot like someone flipping the bird?  :)  We're heading out in a little while so i will be out of touch for a bit.

Now you've got me laughing! It does look a bit like "the bird," I never saw it before. That's art for you, everyone has their own viewpoint.

Have a great trip!
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 17, 2014, 04:35:22 pm
Hi,

I enjoy "getting" new cameras.

Now, I am never getting new cameras. I am buying them, and I am buying them for features. In the last three years the feature I wanted most was live view…

So when I get into a new camera, I check the features I bought them for and care very little about the rest.

Now, the most important features for me are:

A software preset that disables image stabilisation and AF. No mistake, I like both features, but if I cannot disable both with a preset, I would prefer a completely manual camera! The Sony SLT 99 I have comes quite close, but, dear Lord give me a few more presets!

And, dear Lord, why you are at it make my camera be programmable from Windoze/MacOS X or even from an Ipad.

Best regards
Erik

I know it's kinda like saying what do you hate most about winning the lottery :D. But besides learning about it's features and controls, the thing I hate most is having to attach the darn strap!! I've always been kind of a butterfingers and it seems that no matter how many times I check the orientation of everything that I seem to have to redo it all at least once! It isn't all bad though, I've just received my brand new Olympus EM-1 from the friendly UPS man and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can before the wife & I head out to Utah for a 10 day trip. At the risk of being too commercial here the gang at B&H did a great job of getting it shipped quickly and it even came with a spankin' new high speed 32 gb card to boot. I hope to have some nice shots to share when we get back, hopefully there won't be any of the recent reclining seat drama on our flight  ::)
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: luxborealis on October 18, 2014, 12:19:51 pm
The bill. Everything else is golden.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: PeterAit on October 18, 2014, 12:31:04 pm

A software preset that disables image stabilisation and AF.

I am curious - why would you want to disable image stabilization? I can see situations where you would not need it, but how can it do any harm?
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: Isaac on October 18, 2014, 12:38:02 pm
Quote
"When using a tripod, deactivate the Steady Shot function because there is a potential for malfunction of the Steady Shot function."

page 59 Sony α35 Instruction Manual
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: ripgriffith on October 18, 2014, 02:51:24 pm
Discovering that it is still the same old photographer behind the lens? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

+1
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 18, 2014, 03:13:41 pm
Paying the bill…

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: mahleu on October 19, 2014, 08:29:07 am
Now that I think about it, having to upgrade my Photoshop so that the RAWs are supported always frustrates me.
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: jan12 on November 10, 2014, 01:01:48 pm
To improve the photos I need to use Photoshop
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: powerslave12r on November 10, 2014, 02:49:23 pm
What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?

That I don't do it often enough.  ;D
Title: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on November 12, 2014, 02:57:59 pm
Hi,

Waiting for a new L-bracket. That is what I hate about getting a new camera. Alternative: waiting for LR to support my new camera.

Normally, I download and read the user manual before buying a new camera, so I know what I have bought.

Best regards
Erik

What Do You Hate Most About Getting A New Camera?

That I don't do it often enough.  ;D