Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Tim Gray on November 19, 2005, 10:01:40 am
-
Finally got around to finishing a couple of the panos I did at the Brickworks workshop a couple of weeks ago. I used a Jasper Engineering Pano head on a Novoflex Magic Ball with a 1DMKII (this is probably too big for the Jasper head) with a canon 50mm 1.4. Stitched in MS Acrylic. Raw converted in RSE. The stitching in Acrylic knocked it down to 8 bit tiff - which was probably just as well since my machine was really bogging down on the files as it was (both roughly 220meg at 8 bit).
The first one I shot as a bracket due to the high dynamic range, but the registration proved too difficult, although I cut and pasted the bright overhead window on the right to bring it back into reasonable range. A fair amount of burn/dodge and masking to even out the exposure on the first one.
(http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p1s.jpg)
Here (http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p1l.jpg) is a larger shot, about 600k. This is a stich of 9 portrait images with a final size of 3488 x 17195. The linked image is 600 x 2680, but, unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it automatically resizes for the full screen of the browser and the compression makes it look way over sharpened. "Save As" and open in PS and you'll get a better idea. (Or there may be a little icon as you rollover the cursor on the image to display as original size).
(http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p2s.jpg)
Here (http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p2l.jpg) is a larger shot, about 600k. 8 shots.
-
I like the lone figure at the right of the top one. You should clone out all the tripods. Make em workers.
Very nice.
What do you think of MS Acrylic?
-
...You should clone out all the tripods. Make em workers...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Excellent suggestion! I like the panoramas. It gives another perspective of the factory. It doesn't look like a dark, abandoned, dead, mysterious place.
-
Acrylic is slow, but so far it's been extremely reliable in terms of getting it right the first time. Once you get where the menu items are burried, there is 0 user configuration required. (plus it's free).
I figured that since I was so careful in the set up (using a properly callibrated offset head) that the PS pano too should work. No way. I also tried PTAssembler and after 45 minutes of setting control points it was still way way way off (I'll always admit to the possibility of user error).
As I mentioned in my first post, the 8 bit output is a mixed blessing. I shot raw and so I could still do major edits in the conversion software (I use RSP) so 8 bit isn't the end of the world, and I don't have the horsepower in any event. Presumably in their release version you'll have the option for 16 bit output - but it will be a honking big file.
As an aside (and let this be a reminder to us all) when I did my first full size print I had a paper profile mismatch - took me a couple of minutes to figure why it looked sooooo ugly.
-
Tim,
Congratulations. They are impressive.
Mark
-
Finally got around to finishing a couple of the panos I did at the Brickworks workshop a couple of weeks ago. I used a Jasper Engineering Pano head on a Novoflex Magic Ball with a 1DMKII (this is probably too big for the Jasper head) with a canon 50mm 1.4. Stitched in MS Acrylic. Raw converted in RSE. The stitching in Acrylic knocked it down to 8 bit tiff - which was probably just as well since my machine was really bogging down on the files as it was (both roughly 220meg at 8 bit).
The first one I shot as a bracket due to the high dynamic range, but the registration proved too difficult, although I cut and pasted the bright overhead window on the right to bring it back into reasonable range. A fair amount of burn/dodge and masking to even out the exposure on the first one.
(http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p1s.jpg)
Here (http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p1l.jpg) is a larger shot, about 600k. This is a stich of 9 portrait images with a final size of 3488 x 17195. The linked image is 600 x 2680, but, unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it automatically resizes for the full screen of the browser and the compression makes it look way over sharpened. "Save As" and open in PS and you'll get a better idea. (Or there may be a little icon as you rollover the cursor on the image to display as original size).
(http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p2s.jpg)
Here (http://www.timgrayphotography.com/images/p2l.jpg) is a larger shot, about 600k. 8 shots.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Cricketer 1
Do you know if the Don Valley Brickworks is open to the public. If not, can access for photography be arranged, and with whom? Nice panoramas by the way.
-
Not open to the public. Here's a link to MRs workshop page:
http://luminous-landscape.com/workshops/Brickworks-ws.shtml (http://luminous-landscape.com/workshops/Brickworks-ws.shtml)
you might be able to contact Evergreen regarding access.
-
Not open to the public. Here's a link to MRs workshop page:
http://luminous-landscape.com/workshops/Brickworks-ws.shtml (http://luminous-landscape.com/workshops/Brickworks-ws.shtml)
you might be able to contact Evergreen regarding access.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for your prompt reply Tim
cricketer 1