Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on September 20, 2014, 02:44:25 pm

Title: more falls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 20, 2014, 02:44:25 pm
?

Jeremy
Title: Re: more falls
Post by: armand on September 20, 2014, 03:50:24 pm
That dynamic range of your Canon sensor ain't good enough  ;) (sorry, couldn't help not too touch a sensitive cord on this site lately)
And that bottom rock it's kind of blurry.
I'm not going to comment on the composition.
Title: Re: more falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 20, 2014, 08:36:54 pm
The blurry foreground rock doesn't bother me, but the sky and cloud are too distracting. So I would suggest cropping (Forgive me, O Russ!) down just into the tree that sits just above the falls. This will leave a tiny bit of both sky and cloud, but not enough to pull my eye away from the falls.

Title: Re: more falls
Post by: stamper on September 21, 2014, 03:44:03 am
The sky does look overcooked and the rocks over sharpened. However the flow of the water looks fine so a re working of the image might salvage something?
Title: Re: more falls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 21, 2014, 07:17:54 am
That dynamic range of your Canon sensor ain't good enough  ;) (sorry, couldn't help not too touch a sensitive cord on this site lately)
And that bottom rock it's kind of blurry.
I'm not going to comment on the composition.

You're right: it's HDR'd.

Composition: why not comment?

Eric: removing much of the sky does seem to improve it, I must admit.

Jeremy
Title: Re: more falls
Post by: luxborealis on September 21, 2014, 07:42:30 am
You're right: it's HDR'd.

Composition: why not comment?

Eric: removing much of the sky does seem to improve it, I must admit.

Jeremy

The lighting is harsh - difficult to control and make it look good with any sensor. Using HDR should allow you to overcome the limitations of DR on any sensor. Perhaps reducing the contrast to give the clouds more life and the shadows more life would solve the harshness issues. Otherwise the photo is well-composed as is.
Title: Re: more falls
Post by: armand on September 21, 2014, 01:01:02 pm
You're right: it's HDR'd.

Composition: why not comment?

Eric: removing much of the sky does seem to improve it, I must admit.

Jeremy

Sorry for being cryptic re the composition, I just couldn't put my finger on it. Overall I like it but something doesn't feel totally right and still cannot figure it out.
When I said your sensor lacks DR I meant the sky is blown with way too bright clouds. If it's HDR you might be able to correct it more, or cropping it as it was suggested.