Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: petermfiore on September 19, 2014, 08:49:00 am
-
I captured this on monday on my way to class...
Peter
-
Interesting and funny, you can read many different things in this apparently randomly put together scene. I like it.
-
Peter, As you already know, I think this is an outstanding street photograph. I'd add a bravo! What I failed to mention in the other thread is that I'm not at all happy about the toning.
-
Hi Russ,
The toning comes from my darkroom days. I liked the warmer toned papers that Agfa offered and the has stayed with me all this time.
I find that pure neutral too cold for my taste.
Peter
-
It's certainly a matter of taste. I guess I've spent too much time looking at street photographs in books. Anything other than B&W strikes me as wrong. Even with the toning it's still a very fine shot.
-
Peter, As you already know, I think this is an outstanding street photograph. I'd add a bravo! What I failed to mention in the other thread is that I'm not at all happy about the toning.
Russ, this is a genuine question because street photography is, as you know, something I just don't "get". Why is it an outstanding photograph? Please explain.
Jeremy
-
There's a story there, Jeremy, but we're not really sure what it is. Ambiguity is rampant, mainly because of the inclusion of the picture on the right, a picture missing its right side so we have no way of knowing what that pat on the shoulder means. But it looks as if that hand may be pushing the guy over, to join the other guy who's already down. The whole thing reminds me of HCB's surrealist period, when he was doing real street photography. Without the picture on the right, we end up with nothing but photojournalism showing a guy presumably calling the cops to take care of somebody who's either asleep, passed-out, or dead on the sidewalk. By itself that might be interesting, but not good street photography. With the inclusion of the picture it becomes pure street. If Peter has done more of this I'd sure like to see it.
-
Hi Russ,
I was very active in street years ago when shooting film. I have very many images dating back to the early seventies....Truly huge amounts of negatives all needing to be scanned. I hate sitting and scanning. The idea of going thru all of that is daunting to say the least. Besides the shooting is the fun and the making of the new is always more interesting.
Peter
-
Hi Peter,
I understand what you're saying. I have thousands of negatives too, going all the way back to 1953. Happily, I made contact sheets for all of them as I went along, so I've been able to find what I want to scan without trying to mentally invert thousands of negatives.
And yes, I agree that the making of the new certainly is more interesting than scanning. But, man, if you have more street shots of this caliber, scan them and put them up. It'll keep us all from falling asleep looking at landscapes.
-
It'll keep us all from falling asleep looking at landscapes.
And yet, you've been so helpful, Russ ;)