Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on September 16, 2014, 08:02:20 pm
-
My second attempt at 'candid' people shots from a recent crafts fair. I feel this one has more interest, if not humor. I like the color version, but have included the b/w for your consideration. As before, please feel free to c&c. Thank you for viewing.
Cheers,
Bob
-
IMHO, it needs the color to express the full absurdity of the scene. Great catch!
-
Here is what I would do:
It is often said that dog owner's tend to resemble their pets, and it is certainly true in this case (I do realize the bulldog is just a figurine, though). For that purpose, I would choose b&w, in order to eliminate colorful distractions (especially the red stripe behind the dog). Then I would vignette and selectively darken everything else but the dog's snout and the lady's chin, as they are, imho, the humorous part of the image.
-
Slobodan knows that I have a compulsive need to disagree with him from time to time, so I'll put in my counter suggestions.
To my mind the picture isn't just about the one bulldog and the woman, it also needs the other two open-mouthed canines in the front row. So I would keep the color but try to subdue the pelicans and the frog and lighten up the woman's face just a little.
But then the question arises: Is it really my photo, or Slobodan's, or maybe Bob_B's? ;)
-
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll mull over this image for a couple of days, and then try some of your ideas to see what works best. I'll post a second attempt thereafter.
Cheers,
Bob
-
To my mind the picture isn't just about the one bulldog and the woman, it also needs the other two open-mouthed canines in the front row. So I would keep the color but try to subdue the pelicans and the frog and lighten up the woman's face just a little.
Hmm Eric. That open-mouthed canine on the right looks distinctly bearish to me. :)
Chuck
-
Hmm Eric. That open-mouthed canine on the right looks distinctly bearish to me. :)
Chuck
You may be right, Chuck. I didn't get a DNA sample to verify. Besides, I've know a dog or two named "bear."
-
Yessir, that figurine on the right is a bear.
Bob
-
I'm with Eric. Go with the color and lighten up her face. Perhaps more saturation on her face and hat will pull her forward, closer to the animals. It may help to also darken the bright sun on the animals a bit.
-
I've adjusted the image, and would appreciate comments. Here is the new version:
-
Much better!
-
IMHO, it needs the color to express the full absurdity of the scene. Great catch!
I like color too. but need to see a better BW file.
-
I like color too. but need to see a better BW file.
@iluvmycam: BW is still a work in progress, but here's my effort to date
-
Much better!
Thank you. I took (most of) your advice to heart :) in re-processing this image.