Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: Ligament on September 12, 2014, 04:25:15 am
-
A post just prior to mine mentioned this product but the subject of the post is ambiguous so I thought I'd create this thread.
https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Firecrest-16~184.html
Formatt-Hitech has released a new product called the "Firecrest" ND and grad ND line.
They claim neutral color and excellent IRND filtration.
The 100mm X 100mm 16 stop FireCrest ND is only $160 US
Having just recently spent a LOT of money on a set of Singh-Ray 100mm x 100mm 5 stop ($350), 10 stop ($415) and 15 stop ($590) filters, I'm wondering the following:
1. Are these Firecrest ND filters as good as they Formatt-Hitech claims?
2. Are they better than the Singh-Ray filters despite a $430 price difference in the case of the Firecrest 16 stop vs. Singh-Ray 15 stop?
I'm still within the return limits for the Singh-Ray filters and would return them in a heartbeat if I could save a ton of money and get the same or better image quality.
Any opinions?
-
It's my understanding, from talking to a few of the U.S sources for these, there is a question as to if they block 100% IR, however they appear to be 100% neutral, no color cast. The price is right for sure and they make the 16x in 2mm and 4mm. I like the 2mm solution for sure and am going to try one. I hope they follow up with a 8x in this line as most times I don't need a full 16x
Paul
-
Yes
Return the S-R and rebut both S-R and F-H in your most common density and take some shots. It's the ONLY way for you to really know
Would say my S-R's are very very good, but who knows really? All else is just second-hand at best. Not the same as you might see it anyway.