Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: stamper on September 11, 2014, 10:22:12 am

Title: ND filters.
Post by: stamper on September 11, 2014, 10:22:12 am
Has anyone used one of the 16 stop ND filters especially the screw on type? I have no connection with the company.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Firecrest-16~184.html
Title: Re: ND filters.
Post by: Ellis Vener on September 11, 2014, 10:38:43 am
That looks extremely interesting.
Title: Re: ND filters.
Post by: Wayne Fox on September 12, 2014, 03:19:41 am
That looks extremely interesting.
certainly does.  sounds well made. IR is a problem with filters over about 6 stops, most of them require using a IR cutoff filter.  This one seems to handle that.

Title: Re: ND filters.
Post by: dwswager on October 22, 2014, 05:14:48 pm
Has anyone used one of the 16 stop ND filters especially the screw on type? I have no connection with the company.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Firecrest-16~184.html


Amazon has it right now for $124 prime. (http://smile.amazon.com/Formatt-Hitech-Limited-886235191818-Firecrest/dp/B00LP3ERS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414012233&sr=8-1&keywords=formatt+hitech+firecrest)

Title: Re: ND filters.
Post by: leeonmaui on December 06, 2014, 04:00:06 pm
Aloha,

Good call on the IR!!!!
A friend gave me one of these, and I used it on Kauai.
I thought the filter had a red cast to it on some of the longer exposures.....

But at any rate the filter is lots of fun!
Title: Re: ND filters.
Post by: sniper on December 06, 2014, 06:05:10 pm
Looks like the products been pulled, the link now says no product found.
Title: Re: ND filters.
Post by: Some Guy on December 07, 2014, 11:28:00 am
I have a B+W 10 stop ND and it has a reddish cast.  The Lee filter has a bluish cast.  B+W also mentions the use of a IR filter to minimize the red coloration which probably should have been addressed to begin with by them (ahem!).  Lee is cooler in color.  You can use your camera's WB to account for some of it.

The B+W is a screw-in type, and the Lee is the slide-in one with the compendium bellows that clips on and off.

In use, I find the slip-in or using the filter's clip onto the Lee filter ring adapter much easier to use than the screw-in filters that take forever to mount and sometimes gets the lens spun out of focus a bit.  Trying to focus through anything over 10 stops is a nightmare even for the camera so the filter has to go on and off.  Taking the hood on and off and screwing a filter on is SLOW.  The Lee set-up is much quicker in that I can clip the unit on and off much faster than screwing it on and off.

Metering may be off a bit too.  I think mine is off maybe 2/3 stop more when using them.  I have some charts made up in my bag when I use them.

SG