Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Herbc on September 10, 2014, 05:34:16 pm

Title: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Herbc on September 10, 2014, 05:34:16 pm
I have used a sealer from Breathing Color, which works ok, but is, IMHO, expensive.
Is there a more reasonalble alternative?  One would hope the painter community has such
which would be available locally (Raleigh NC).
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: crwoo on September 10, 2014, 06:17:25 pm
I've tried premier eco shield and i didnt like it, had a big problem with making my prints look milky. I switched to Breathing color Timeless, that is really good stuff but expensive. I'm also interested in something cheaper that dries clear.
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Ken Doo on September 10, 2014, 06:56:12 pm
Breathing Color's Glamour II is still my choice for coating canvas by hvlp.
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: jferrari on September 10, 2014, 07:23:22 pm
Breathing Color's Glamour II is still my choice for coating canvas by hvlp.

Which has no UV inhibitors, a feature that might or might not be important to the OP.      - Jim
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Peter McLennan on September 10, 2014, 11:46:50 pm
Just for fun, I foam brushed a layer of Thompson's Water Seal onto a 30x40 canvas print. I got nicely increased D max and water just rolls off the surface. No visible other changes to the print nearly a year later.

This stuff sells for less than $20 a gallon and is recommended for waterproofing fabrics, among other things.

YMMV.

Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Herbc on September 11, 2014, 08:56:31 am
Peter, great idea-the same stuff you use for sealing stone has a similar appearance.  I will ask a chemist friend about the various ingredients in such sealers.
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Peter McLennan on September 11, 2014, 09:00:25 am
Good idea to ask a chemist.  I should add that I used about 5 cc of product to cover the 30x40 print.  The $20 can should outlast me.
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: StuNY on September 11, 2014, 04:54:00 pm
I have been using Eco Print Shield for a few years now and have been very happy with it. I apply with a roller and follow the directions closely. It is very important to make your first two coats with Glossy then final coat with desired finish- I use satin. My canvas prints still look good and blacks are very black. I have had some hanging for 3 years now and they look as good as ever. Bonus is just wiping with a damp cloth when occasional spills hit them- don't ask!
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Landscapes on September 11, 2014, 07:22:43 pm
My only questions about this water seal would be if it cracks down the road.  I think these canvas ones are designed to be soft, but I imagine this industrial stuff might crack.  It might make the canvas look old, like a painting mind you, so this could be pretty cool! :)  Also, would you need to vent the area properly to use this coating?  Is it solvent based or water based?
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Peter McLennan on September 11, 2014, 11:30:05 pm
No smell, no warnings on product, invisible on surface, no cracking with repeated folding and bending.
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: Landscapes on September 11, 2014, 11:45:08 pm
Which one is it?  I see a few versions of the Thompson's Water Seal.  As for the cracking, I guess I thought more in the long term, as in months/years.  But at the same time, who knows how well the specialty canvas stuff will hold up as well.
Title: Re: Which varnish/sealer for canvas prints?
Post by: huguito on September 12, 2014, 12:39:02 am
I have used Polycrilic with a lot of succes, is a water based varnish from Minwax. Comes in gloss or Satin, I like Satin better.
About $8 or so for a quart
I tried on Epson Satin Canvas and on paper, Epson Hot press Bright and Epson Enhanced matte
Some of those prints are almost a year old, no cracking or discoloration or yellowing.
One print in my living room has bben under direct light without glass for months and still looks great.
I mixed 20 or 25% purified water and the rest Polycrilic.
First coat in canvas has to be very light and as few strokes as possible to avoid lifting ink
Doesn't leave any addded texture to the print.
I apply 3 light coats, at least 30 min between coats

Hugo