Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: Guillermo Luijk on September 08, 2014, 08:30:28 pm
-
Some claim in-body stabilization performs worse than lens stabilization. Leaving aside the pay once, stabilize all advantage of in-body IS, with body systems such as the Olympus 5-axis IBIS, does this hold true?.
I did a little test to see the effectiveness of my E-P5 IBIS with a fairly long focal length (75mm, 150mm eq.). Shooting handheld at 1/15 arms up in the air (this is more than 3 stops slower than the reference 1/eq_focal_length rule), I did two series of 4 captures each, with and without the IS, discarding the worst result on each of the series (emulating what a photographer does in real applications):
(http://www.guillermoluijk.com/misc/estab_escena.jpg)
(http://www.guillermoluijk.com/misc/estab_comp.png)
Thoughts? lens stabilization, real advantage or just pay one thousand times?
-
Uh…real advantage, of course. :D In low light with my E-M1 I use 1/(focal length x 0.5) shutter speeds with confidence. (That's actual, not "equivalent," focal length.) If there's any blur it's not due to shake but because things in the frame are moving. With a bit of care I can pull off 1/(fl x 0.25) consistently too. Using a fast lens like the Voigtländer 17.5/0.95 (approx. t/1.2) to take pics in very dim conditions handheld with a reasonable ISO…can do.
-Dave-
-
Uh…real advantage, of course. :D In low light with my E-M1 I use 1/(focal length x 0.5) shutter speeds with confidence. (That's actual, not "equivalent," focal length.) If there's any blur it's not due to shake but because things in the frame are moving. With a bit of care I can pull off 1/(fl x 0.25) consistently too. Using a fast lens like the Voigtländer 17.5/0.95 (approx. t/1.2) to take pics in very dim conditions handheld with a reasonable ISO…can do.
-Dave-
The em1 and em5 stabilization is crazy good. Man if they made a robust video codec . . . that camera would rock. It's almost like a a steadicam. Not quite as smooth but damn close.
IMO
BC