Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on September 08, 2014, 08:15:18 pm

Title: The Admirer Wore Black
Post by: Bob_B on September 08, 2014, 08:15:18 pm
Yeah, they're cats. (Please deal with that elsewhere lol). My goal was to capture the feline tension that was going on here. The neighbor's black male cat (Midnight, is his name) sitting outside, had just made his presence known to my three (indoor) cats: Lupe (closest to the door), Lola (rightmost), and Juan (all white). I caught Juan's reflection in the glass pane of the door, and thought it nicely countered Midnight's feline bravura. I'm still experimenting with black and white conversions, so please feel free to add your thoughts. Overall, I believe this captured the moment, for what it's worth, and I'm happy to report the glass remained intact.

Cheers,
     Bob
Title: Re: The Admirer Wore Black
Post by: mal mcilwraith on September 09, 2014, 06:09:03 am
Hi Bob

The tension is certainly obvious and the composition works in my mind.

The black and white is also probably necessary as I imagine there is a fair bit of colour in the background.
I guess my only question revolves around, what does that peaceful snippet of suburbia say?
At first I thought it was pleasant but distracting, but after some time I think it adds contrast to the tension between the protagonists.

Thanks for sharing


Mal
Title: Re: The Admirer Wore Black
Post by: AWeil on September 09, 2014, 06:26:46 pm
Great shot. Congratulations. You really captured the nature of domestic cats.
Best,
Angela
Title: Re: The Admirer Wore Black
Post by: Bob_B on September 10, 2014, 09:27:00 am
Thank you Mal and Angela for your kind words.

Bob