Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dwswager on September 07, 2014, 09:54:00 pm
-
I've gone through an exhaustive search to select a new tripod: RRS carbon fiber. However, I have never owned a CF tripod and was wondering about the durability with respect to metal in transport, handling and storage.
For example, I keep a tripod in the trunk of my car with only a neoprene pouch over the head. While I'm not abusive with my equipment, I don't really worry about scratches and dings. So I might throw a bunch of other stuff on top of it. With a CF tripod, should I be keeping this thing in a case/bag of some sort? Or will it hold up like a metal tripod? I'm just worried I might scratch the tube and compromise the structural integrity of it.
-
I have four CF tripods and managed to ware-out only one in more than a dozen years. One is a Benro with collar locks and has made many trips across country and across the pond in my check-in bag simply packed in the middle. That and the Manfrotto usually stay in the back of my 4Runner, summer and winter never babied and yesterday got covered with dust and bounced around on some rough roads. The Manfrotto is scratched and has worn well for nearly ten years needing little more than the leg locks to be adjusted. The Benro is only a few years old and there are no issues with it.
IMO, besides light weight, strong and easier on the hands winter and summer, the CF tripods, even at twice the price are well worth it compared to metal.
-
After the first scratch it will be easier. I carry my RRS in the bag they sell for protection in the car.
If you use the tripod around water make sure to unscrew the lower leg segment to let the water out. Don't over tighten the the segments as it can break the friction devices inside. RRS just need a slight turn of pressure.
If you use it around salt water or sand take all the legs apart and wash the out. RRS makes the maintenance very easy.
Paul
-
I've gone through an exhaustive search to select a new tripod: RRS carbon fiber. However, I have never owned a CF tripod and was wondering about the durability with respect to metal in transport, handling and storage.
For example, I keep a tripod in the trunk of my car with only a neoprene pouch over the head. While I'm not abusive with my equipment, I don't really worry about scratches and dings. So I might throw a bunch of other stuff on top of it. With a CF tripod, should I be keeping this thing in a case/bag of some sort? Or will it hold up like a metal tripod? I'm just worried I might scratch the tube and compromise the structural integrity of it.
Carbon fiber tripods are lighter, and that's bad. You want the weight to steady the camera.
-
Carbon fiber tripods are lighter, and that's bad. You want the weight to steady the camera.
Carbon fiber tripods are lighter, and that's great. The older I get the less weight I want to/am able to carry, and now I am more likely to bring my tripod. I can hang my camera bag or backpack from the tripod to steady it.
-
Carbon fiber tripods are lighter, and that's great. The older I get the less weight I want to/am able to carry, and now I am more likely to bring my tripod. I can hang my camera bag or backpack from the tripod to steady it.
A light tripod in the field is much more stable than the heavy tripod you left at home.
I don't shoot 4X5 with my carbon tripod, but I've never had any issues with unsteadiness using it with my DSLRs.
I get the funniest looks with a Sigma DP2M on a carbon tripod though. People come up and tell me I don't need to use a tripod because they'll take a selfie-style picture for me...
-
I've had a Gitzo 5 series (and IMO, it's *definitely* more stable than the RRC 3 series, but that's not the point here) for several years and mostly I keep it in a Think Tank "big bazooka" case, but often it just sits in the trunk. I've beat the living hell out of it and it's worked perfectly. RRS stuff is well made too (disclaimer: while I prefer Gitzo for tripods, I use RRS ballheads) so I don't think you're going to have any problems with storage, use or transport unless you proactively try to abuse it.
So I think you're good to go; you've got an excellent tripod and it should last a long time...
-
Carbon fiber tripods are lighter, and that's bad. You want the weight to steady the camera.
CF tripods have greater torsional rigidity and better vibrational absorption properties than aluminium tripods. You need the weight in the right place to steady the camera - if in doubt attach a 4 or 7kg weight off an unextended centre column !
(http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/product_image/thm/t320x320_4d93ef8e77eb82c776532d09e4b06e43.jpg?1409941140)
-
I'm just worried I might scratch the tube and compromise the structural integrity of it.
CF can be prone to cracking impact damage - theoretically. Has never happened to me, but would suggest you wrap it in a soft cloth or bag and just be careful not to crack it with an axe ~).
-
I keep my Gitzo Systematic 3 (with the big RRS head) in a Big Bazooka from Think Tank, and it gets tossed in the back of my truck with all the other gear. Never had a problem, still looks great. The only thing I worry about is impact damage, but I've had the tripod for probably ten years with no issues.
-
CF tripods have greater torsional rigidity and better vibrational absorption properties than aluminium tripods. You need the weight in the right place to steady the camera - if in doubt attach a 4 or 7kg weight off an unextended centre column !
(http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/product_image/thm/t320x320_4d93ef8e77eb82c776532d09e4b06e43.jpg?1409941140)
That has nothing to do with it. It's mass you want. The greater the mass, the more resistance to accelerative forces.
-
I have a CF feisol , love the light weight and strength.
it has a hook on the bottom, I have a carabina on my bag, the two work perfectly together very solid no problems.
-
CF tripods have greater torsional rigidity and better vibrational absorption properties than aluminium tripods. You need the weight in the right place to steady the camera - if in doubt attach a 4 or 7kg weight off an unextended centre column !
The RRS has no center column, you mount the head directly to the apex which has a hook underneath. BTW, I will buy the center column accessory for use when I get roped into doing head and shoulder shots of a large group. Height adjustment is important then and using the legs just isn't an efficient option.
-
The RRS has no center column,...
The 7kg suggestion was a slightly tongue-in-cheek response to a previous poster, but I'm sure many have hung weights off that hook! As others have testified you'll get many years good use out of it - good luck and congratulations.