Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Bob Rockefeller on September 06, 2014, 01:48:19 pm

Title: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on September 06, 2014, 01:48:19 pm
I've collected a number of adjustment brush - some my own and some third-party. All of them show up on the local adjustment brush menu in one giant, long list.

Attempting to create some order, I arranged them into folders within ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Local Adjustment Presets.

But that does nothing.

How does one organize one's large adjustment brush presets?
Title: Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: RikkFlohr on September 06, 2014, 02:17:55 pm
Alpha/Numerically in a single flat list is your only organizational option.
Title: Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on September 06, 2014, 02:49:47 pm
Thanks, but sad.

Yet another way that Lightroom's UI still can match the now-defunct Aperture's. :(
Title: Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: RikkFlohr on September 07, 2014, 11:29:17 am
For me it is a non-issue as I have never found use for more than a half-dozen Adjustment Brush presets. I still cannot figure out what 'savings' people realize in creating dozens or hundreds of these.  Given the variability and uniqueness of every input image and the time spent scrolling through long lists (or lists and folders) to find that just-the-right preset, I don't see any time savings. Perhaps that is me and I am alone in my opinion.

Title: Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: john beardsworth on September 07, 2014, 12:01:48 pm
For me it is a non-issue as I have never found use for more than a half-dozen Adjustment Brush presets. I still cannot figure out what 'savings' people realize in creating dozens or hundreds of these.  Given the variability and uniqueness of every input image and the time spent scrolling through long lists (or lists and folders) to find that just-the-right preset, I don't see any time savings. Perhaps that is me and I am alone in my opinion.

Nope, I agree with you.
Title: Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on September 07, 2014, 12:22:24 pm
For me it is a non-issue as I have never found use for more than a half-dozen Adjustment Brush presets. I still cannot figure out what 'savings' people realize in creating dozens or hundreds of these.  Given the variability and uniqueness of every input image and the time spent scrolling through long lists (or lists and folders) to find that just-the-right preset, I don't see any time savings. Perhaps that is me and I am alone in my opinion.

I generally agree. I use the local adjustment brush presets as a good starting point and sometimes one hits the spot.

But I like to have a group (hence the desire for organization) for such things as sharpening, simple portrait retouching (heavy duty stuff still has to go to Photoshop) and exposure. Sometimes I'll have a couple of sets of third-party brushes (some of which overlap functions) while I work with them to see which ones I like.

How hard would it be for Lightroom to recognize folders within the local adjustment presets folder and sub-menus? Why would't that be the expected behavior? What if someone DID have dozens of brushes? Lightroom's global adjustment presets work with folder organization.
Title: Re: Organizing Adjustment Brushes?
Post by: John Caldwell on September 08, 2014, 08:43:28 am
I'm with Bob. I can see great benefit in allowing grouping brushes into a folder architecture that the user defines. I have taken to creating a dummy (invisible) Brush folder where I move brushes that I don't want to use for a given assignment because they clutter my brush list, but move them back into the actual brush folder when a different assignment calls for them. This does involve opening and closing LR for the updated active brush folders to be visible though.

John Caldwell