Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Garry Sarre on September 05, 2014, 04:28:12 am

Title: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Garry Sarre on September 05, 2014, 04:28:12 am
I have the opportunity of purchasing a 2nd hand 120mm F4 macro for my H5D. I have previously used it on product photography (jewellery below) where I was happy enough. Does anyone use it for portraits?

I have a 150mm f 3.2... A classic focal length for MF. It doesn't focus that closely and is a little too long at times. The idea of a portrait/dedicated macro appeals to me. I stress it is for portrait/product and occasional copy work.

Thank you enlightened ones
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: jerome_m on September 05, 2014, 12:00:00 pm
That photographer (http://www.olivier-chauvignat.com/recent) from Paris uses it for most of his work (the rest is done with the 210mm). From the sample pictures, it seems to do the job.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Pope on September 05, 2014, 12:47:48 pm
I use a Mamiya 120mm f/4 Macro MF, it's perfect! I think Perter Hurley uses also a 120mm macro on a Hassy...
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Doug Peterson on September 05, 2014, 01:03:28 pm
I use a Mamiya 120mm f/4 Macro MF, it's perfect! I think Perter Hurley uses also a 120mm macro on a Hassy...

Peter Hurley now shoots with a Phase One body, back, and Schneider LS lenses. (for example (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154552893315165&id=126184805164))

Previously he used a Hassy system.

(I know as we are his Phase One dealer)
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Manoli on September 05, 2014, 01:26:02 pm
Peter Hurley now shoots with a Phase One body, back, and Schneider LS lenses.
Previously he used a Hassy system.
(I know as we are his Phase One dealer)

Did he buy it or was it a 'loaner' ?
He in fact went from Hassy to a Nikon D800* / Canon setup.

Pete Hurley is a great guy- infectious enthusiasm - but like his style, his selection criteria can be, how can I put this diplomatically ... transitory. Last thing I recall he was waxing lyrical over Feisol tripods !

* actually a Nikon setup with a 70-200 zoom.

Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Pope on September 05, 2014, 02:20:19 pm
Peter Hurley now shoots with a Phase One body, back, and Schneider LS lenses. (for example (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154552893315165&id=126184805164))

Previously he used a Hassy system.

(I know as we are his Phase One dealer)
Nice to know, my Leaf back was also bought at Digital Transitions!
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: rem on September 06, 2014, 02:57:47 am
Marco Grob is shooting the most portraits with the 120mm Macro.
I had it also and yes, its great. Now I use the most time the 100mm/2,2 (smaller and faster). I have also the 150mm but I do not use it often.
rem
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Dustbak on September 06, 2014, 04:03:45 am
I use the Version II (which is quite a bit better than version I BTW), I personally would not even consider using it for portraits. I find the AF much too much hunting and slow. I get annoyed by the fact the lens often is almost there with focus but than decides it needs to go all the way to the other side before returning to focus. On the quality side it is really excellent. If I would need to get a bit closer,  I would rather use the 100 or the 150 with an extension ring.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Garry Sarre on September 06, 2014, 04:16:19 am
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Of course, exactly the kind of lens Marco Grob would use: Close, only slightly long... Enough to show perspective. Although that fast 100 sounds appealing too Rem.

I want them all!

I guess if I don't get the macro, I have I to find a solution for close up work as well. It does fall neatly between my 150 and 80.... and after using it today, I'm pretty sure it will double as a concussion instrument for any home invasion.... What a bazooka!!
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Garry Sarre on September 06, 2014, 04:21:23 am
Ah, good point Dustpak. I found that annoying also. I assumed I would overcome it somehow with experience. How do you tell if it's a version II?
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: JV on September 06, 2014, 09:08:10 am
For portraits I would personally also use the 100mm because it is more convenient, smaller, faster, lighter and with better autofocus.

Please note that the 150mm has a version II as well (called the 150N) if you ever were to go that route.

Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Dustbak on September 06, 2014, 11:42:07 am
Ah, good point Dustpak. I found that annoying also. I assumed I would overcome it somehow with experience. How do you tell if it's a version II?

The version II has II behind its name on the marking on the lens.

AFAIK the 150N is only different from the first lens with regard to the coating on the elements. Optically it is pretty much identical to version I. Version II of the 120Macro is really much better (as is version II of the 50mm BTW).
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: rem on September 07, 2014, 05:54:05 am
The speed was not really a problem for me, no I was pretty happy when shooting portraits, because the distance is almost the same. I had the Version II. For me, it was more a decision what lenses I would have (now I have the 24mm/35-90mm/100mm/150mm/TC1.7x/HTS1.5). So the 120mm was to close to the 100mm.
rem
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Garry Sarre on September 07, 2014, 09:57:47 am
Thanks Dustpac and Rem. Very helpful. Speed of focus and brightness the viewfinder are important to me. It might just come down to price.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Quentin on September 08, 2014, 08:56:09 am
The 120 Macro works well as a portrait lens.

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/July_2014_onwards/Hass_Studio_22_08_2011_0072_small.jpg)

It also doubles up very well as a macro lens (of course!)

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/Job_0004_final%20copy_mini.jpg)

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/Food%2020%20November%202011_0008.jpg)

Mine is the Mk 1 version.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Garry Sarre on September 08, 2014, 10:30:28 am
Nicely illustrated Quentin. Thanks. It will boil down to price I guess... It's also a version 1.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Quentin on September 08, 2014, 12:40:08 pm
Nicely illustrated Quentin. Thanks. It will boil down to price I guess... It's also a version 1.

Version one will handle multishot.  Mine is very sharp.  No doubt the latest version is better, but V.1 is good.  Good luck!
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: Garry Sarre on September 10, 2014, 03:25:07 am
I wound up purchasing the Version 1 Macro 120mm after I did these tests. Although F32 shows some significant breakdown, it's not overly noticeable and normal viewing distances. In any case, I'm happy to stay in the midrange of F stops.
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: bpepz on September 12, 2014, 09:29:33 am
Does anyone have any shots with the 120mm wide open with a headshot?
Title: Re: Hasselblad 120 macro for closeups and portrait
Post by: douglevy on September 12, 2014, 11:23:24 am
ISO 200 F/4 1/320 on Credo 40 shot this morning