Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MoreOrLess on September 02, 2014, 01:52:00 pm

Title: Severn Vale Overlook
Post by: MoreOrLess on September 02, 2014, 01:52:00 pm
A recent shot from one of my favourite spots...

(http://i.imgur.com/m2fwwSK.jpg)
Title: Re: Severn Vale Overlook
Post by: shawnino on September 02, 2014, 03:37:31 pm
I like it, but I wonder if the stuff in the distance is more interesting than what's in the foreground?
Title: Re: Severn Vale Overlook
Post by: luxborealis on September 02, 2014, 07:37:50 pm
I like it, but I wonder if the stuff in the distance is more interesting than what's in the foreground?

Agreed. I'm not sure the foreground complements the background.
Title: Re: Severn Vale Overlook
Post by: Bob_B on September 02, 2014, 07:42:19 pm
I like the overall idea, but agree that the foreground is somewhat distracting. My eyes went immediately to the lighter background. Any thoughts of cropping out the lower third or fourth of the image?
Title: Re: Severn Vale Overlook
Post by: MoreOrLess on September 03, 2014, 02:26:27 am
I like the overall idea, but agree that the foreground is somewhat distracting. My eyes went immediately to the lighter background. Any thoughts of cropping out the lower third or fourth of the image?

Personally I think the foreground is what gives the image most of its character, the curves in the landscape balanced against the darker areas of landscape above. I did go back and forth a good deal on whether to brighten that area, do you think this version provides a better balance with the sky?

(http://i.imgur.com/FILz0yj.jpg)