Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John Caldwell on August 31, 2014, 12:26:39 am
-
This is a new paper to me and I tried a box of 13x19 sheets in response to an Atlex ad. I used three sheets and the rest of the box is going back to Atlex for a refund ($84.80 / box of 25 sheets 13x19).
1) 350 GSM media
2) Sheets don't lie flat and show strong reverse curl, yielding carriage strikes on both Epson 4900 and 9900 machines. No apparent printer damage fortunately.
3) Paper white is a pale cotton candy pink, meaning showing a strong magenta cast. This cast shows through strongly in areas that don't get much ink. A near-blown sky would look downright stupid next to a white matte.
Can't imagine HFA Baryta FB will captivate a wide audience. It's essentially the same price as Canson Platine.
As an aside, I also tried the HFA Silk Baryta 310 weight. This is a nice paper and yet another contender in the GFS / Canson Baryta Photographique slot. The Hahnemühle Baryta Silk has a little more surface texture than the Canson does, and I could see liking that in some instances. It seems to be the same price as the Canson Baryta, which is rare for Hahnemüle.
John Caldwell
-
Oh... I am sorry you did not see this first: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/tale.shtml
I have to say I am fond of Hahnemühle papers but the Baryta FB is an absolute failure to me. On the other hand their new Photo Silk Baryta is quite a different story. Lovely paper!
Regards.
-
Funny Geraldo, I did see that when Michael wrote it in 2009 and had forgotten about his review. I thought Baryta FB was a new paper in 2014 somehow. Live and learn on my part.
John-
-
I bought a 44"x40' roll from them quite a while ago, and sent it back due to its pink/magenta/purple cast. Explained THEY would save money if their website said it was like this, reducing the returns on it. Oh well.
-
Do you use the photo silk on your Z3200? If yes, what media preset do you use?
Hello George,
I got only a sample so far and used it entirely on the Canon IPF8400 as their Z3200 preset is broken (as you may have noticed) and the sample was not enough to calibrate and profile on the Z. It is taking a bit longer than I expected to their production rolls reach us here in Brazil. If they have not fixed the preset when I get the paper I will build my own based on the Canson Baryta Photographique as a staring point, or will look on its preset and copy the settings as I believe we must select an HP paper as a starting point. I really want to try it on the Z3200 because of the gloss enhancer as this type of paper is prone to show lots of gloss differential (and this is the case on the IPF8400).
As soon as I get it I will share the .oms preset.
Regards.
-
Re: HFA Silk Baryta & the Z3200, I think you'd be on solid ground to start with HP Professional Satin in making a profile. Alternately, use what has worked in the past with the Canson Baryta Photographique as a starting point. They are very similar, and nice, papers in my mind.
John Caldwell
-
That's the problem I've always had with the Platine, Ilford Gold, and the Canson Baryta with the Canon and the Z with gloss enhancer, way too much bronzing.
I think with this paper Epson inks perform better (maybe?).
I've settled on the Hah. Fine Art Pearl or the Photorag Pearl as the go to papers of this type, they are just easier to work with and look great with bw and color and they don't scratch like some of the others, especially with big prints from rolls.
john
-
I've settled on the Hah. Fine Art Pearl or the Photorag Pearl as the go to papers of this type, they are just easier to work with and look great with bw and color and they don't scratch like some of the others, especially with big prints from rolls.
john
I am also happy with the Hah. Fine Art Pearl for most printing, but sometimes I prefer the more textured surface of the Hah. Fine Art Baryta which seems to give it a bit more of a life-like quality.
-
About a month ago I tried ~10 different Baryta's and went about blind comparing the look, feel, texture, etc. All of this on a 3880. I'm no expert, so take it FWIW, but I felt the Canson Baryta Photographique was the best of the bunch - nice gloss, but not too much. A good weight. Color and DMAX were good.
I know GFS is well liked, but I found the Ilford paper had too much yellow. Color landscapes with greens & yellows overly skewed towards yellow. I like the Ilford GFS for B&W prints, but not so much for color. The Canson seemed more neutral in that regard.
My only gripe was the Epson 3880 and its @#$%^&*() pizza wheel marks which it does on any RC paper. If the light hits the paper right, the marks are as clear runway landing lights. Hopefully the wheel marks will be solved with a new printer later this fall.
-
...
I know GFS is well liked, but I found the Ilford paper had too much yellow. Color landscapes with greens & yellows overly skewed towards yellow. I like the Ilford GFS for B&W prints, but not so much for color. The Canson seemed more neutral in that regard.
Sounds more like the profile than a paper difference; the two papers, IGGS and the Canson Baryta, are almost identical otherwise. If you are using canned profiles, I'd try the Canson profile with the Ilford paper.
Brian A