Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: rollsman44 on August 30, 2014, 10:15:06 pm
-
I just purchased the H3D2-31 with the 80/2.8 I was thinking of selling my 80 and buying the 50-110 zoom. I would like to get a wider lense and a longer one for portraits. This 50-110 will do what I need.
Any pros and cons you can offer to me. greatly appreciated.
-
It all depends on what you shoot. I like the 50-110, but I like the 35-90 more. Do you have access to a rental shop?
-
No I don't. I can't afford the 30-90. Thank you I shoot Portarits and Group shots and landscapes( NOW MY Hobby)
-
negatives: weight, higher Fstop compared to the 80mmm/100mm
pro: quality,price,same fstop as the 50mm,no need to change lenses,safe you a lot of money comparing to buying a 50/80/100
If you can handle the weight in your hands, and don't need the extra light at 100mm, go for it.
-
I sold the zoom a while ago as it weighs about 2 kilos and is impossible to carry. Handheld shots are very difficult given the weight of the lens. Otherwise the quality is very good, but I would personally never sell the 80mm lens. In fact, I only use the 80 mm for portraits now. If you need a wider lens, you should consider adding a 50mm.
-
The 50-110 is optically a very good lens but as already mentioned very heavy indeed, if you do a lot of handheld shooting you might want to try it out first.
-
The 50-110 is optically a very good lens but as already mentioned very heavy indeed, if you do a lot of handheld shooting you might want to try it out first.
Yes it is super heavy and worse of all, Front Heavy. Great lens but for portraits use handheld I much rather use the 80, 100 or the 150.
-
Thank you all. I am keeping my 80/2.8.
-
Hey Rollsman,
You've got a few threads going, which isn't helpful for tracking advice and other bits of information. Based off other posts, you're in Delaware, and have had a number of different questions. To better answer your Cirrus adapter question, there is a major issue you are overlooking. Hasselblad has an adapter for V lenses on H bodies, and there are two things of note - the lever to cock the shutter, and the sync cable that goes to the sync port on the lens. The Cirrus adapter has neither of these. Remember, your H body doesn't have a shutter, it relies on the lens shutter working correctly.
The 80/2.8 is a great lens. It works well, is really light and other than taking a 67mm filter size, it's a easy baseline. It takes the 1.7x H tele adapter really well - consider getting a used one - it is the cheapest way to double your lens collection. The 50-110 is heavy, but I've done some great work with it hand held (outdoors with good light). The 50-110 is also kind of fragile in that it doesn't like sitting on the front element.
You have rental options - you just may not know them as well. http://www.hasselbladusa.com/about-hasselblad/rental-locator.aspx is a good start. http://Borrowlenses.com will send to you directly, and they have partner retailers.
Shooting portraits and groups, you want the fluid workflow with a H lens. Landscapes allow you to slow down and consider other options. You can get a mount plate for a few cameras like the Mamiya RZ or the Fuji GX680 and use the back (when powered via firewire). Anything else like a Cambo or a Alpa FPS cost more than adding native lenses.
Hope this helps,
-Joe
-
Thank you Joe for all the info. I appreciate it.