Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PeterAit on August 28, 2014, 08:14:34 pm

Title: Great egret, Cedar Point, NC
Post by: PeterAit on August 28, 2014, 08:14:34 pm
Olympus E-M1. Olympus 50-200 mm lens @ 200 mm.
Title: Re: Great egret, Cedar Point, NC
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 28, 2014, 11:36:06 pm
Nice, very pure image.

Two details if I may:
- the composition would have worked better for me had the birds been looking left, or been a bit more left in the frame,
- the bird looks a bit over-exposed on my laptop screen. There may be no problem in a correct viewing environment.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Great egret, Cedar Point, NC
Post by: francois on August 29, 2014, 03:59:36 am
Nice, very pure image.

Two details if I may:
- the composition would have worked better for me had the birds been looking left, or been a bit more left in the frame,
- the bird looks a bit over-exposed on my laptop screen. There may be no problem in a correct viewing environment.

Cheers,
Bernard


I agree with the placement of the egret in the frame, more to the left would have been nice. Other than that, it'a a lovely photo.
Title: Re: Great egret, Cedar Point, NC
Post by: PeterAit on August 29, 2014, 08:57:48 am
Thanks for the comments. I took quite a few shots and some had the bird more centered and/or facing into the frame. But, I particularly like this one because it is a bit nonconventional, with the bird off-center and looking "out." I sort of think of it as a picture of the salt marsh with an egret as opposed to a photo of an egret.
Title: Re: Great egret, Cedar Point, NC
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 30, 2014, 05:13:10 am
Peter


I like your image - the marsh creates a visual bridge across the image and the  bird is crossing over - to where, from where, who knows?

The grass has a very tasteful texture. The only part that makes me wonder is the high contrast texture on the rougher water beyond the bird. I would probably explore just softening the contrast a little so it doesn't demand so much attention.


Mal