Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 28, 2014, 03:12:01 pm

Title: falls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 28, 2014, 03:12:01 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: falls
Post by: Harald L on August 28, 2014, 03:55:03 pm
Unfortunately the top of the fall has been cut by a tight framing which seems somewhat randomly.

Harald
Title: Re: falls
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 28, 2014, 11:39:44 pm
Agreed with the framing comment, I would cut further down, in fact I would leave most of the upper half out.

Also, it could be my viewing environment, but colors seem a bit dull. Did you use a PL filter on this one? I guess that you may not have but I think that a PL filter would help bring the green up to a more vivid level.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: falls
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 29, 2014, 03:33:29 am
It wasn't random, Harald: the top of the falls was obscured by vegetation. I wished it wasn't so, but...

Bernard, I didn't use a polariser, just a big stopper. I wonder if it's responsible for dulling the colours. I'm curious that you'd lose the top: for me, the patterns of flowing water were interesting.

Jeremy
Title: Re: falls
Post by: stamper on August 29, 2014, 04:09:34 am
I find this very likeable. Regarding colours, if it was in shade - as it appears to me - then imo the colours would be muted. Regarding framing, it has to be cropped somewhere - whether in camera or computer - and it looks just fine to me. No nitpicks. :)
Title: Re: falls
Post by: David Eckels on August 30, 2014, 11:56:08 am
Jeremy, your comment about the the patterns in the flowing water made me wonder if a crop of the lower rocks, leaving the entire stump as a sort of "finger point" to the falls would emphasize/isolate your subject a little more.
Title: Re: falls
Post by: RSL on August 31, 2014, 12:09:14 pm
By now you must know that it's never finished 'til it's cropped, Jeremy.
Title: Re: falls
Post by: David Eckels on August 31, 2014, 07:46:37 pm
By now you must know that it's never finished 'til it's cropped, Jeremy.
:D
Title: Re: falls
Post by: David Anderson on August 31, 2014, 08:32:34 pm
Not quite there IMHO.

I really like the patterns of the water near the top, but not the stump and brown water of the bottom as much.
If there's nothing else at the top perhaps having a bit of the obscuring vegetation would work ?
Of course it's impossible to say without having been there.