Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on August 27, 2014, 11:41:33 am

Title: In Another World
Post by: seamus finn on August 27, 2014, 11:41:33 am
That's where this little lady was...


Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: RSL on August 27, 2014, 06:43:46 pm
A fine street portrait, Seamus. Very nice.
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 27, 2014, 09:08:48 pm
Great subject, good timing and good photo technically, but the composition and "atmosphere" don't really work that well for me.

I have a hard time figuring out what exactly doesn't work though. :) I guess it has to do with you being higher than the subject and a bit "hidden" behind the barrel? It conveys the feeling that you sort of "stole" the image?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: David Anderson on August 28, 2014, 12:32:53 am
Gritty. 8)

Agree with Bernard about the Barrel, but still dig the shot.
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: RSL on August 28, 2014, 08:21:03 am
. . .It conveys the feeling that you sort of "stole" the image?

It's called "capturing" an image, Bernard, not "stealing." It's how street photography works.
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: mezzoduomo on August 28, 2014, 09:38:31 am
I have a hard time figuring out what exactly doesn't work though......

Framed/cropped too tight? Insufficient context in the frame?
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: shawnino on August 28, 2014, 10:17:09 am
That's really well done. Nice work.
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: BernardLanguillier on August 28, 2014, 10:24:02 am
It's called "capturing" an image, Bernard, not "stealing." It's how street photography works.

Indeed, most forms of street photography don't require an interaction btwn photographer and subject, stolen wasn't the right word.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: stamper on August 29, 2014, 04:16:08 am
If she had been looking at the photographer then the image would have lost some of it's impact. It isn't the best image I have seen about street but it was well worth the effort to post it. Seamus, you can't win them all? ;)
Title: Re: In Another World
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 29, 2014, 05:33:31 pm
I like this one as much as any I've seen on this forum. I like the naturalness of the shot and the "lost" expression is quite genuine which conveys to me, she was unaware this shot was being made - hence "street."