Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on August 24, 2014, 12:23:22 am

Title: Sunset Cruise
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 24, 2014, 12:23:22 am
Caught this guy just as he lifted off. The sun was quite near the horizon, slightly to its left rear side which almost made it go to silhouette. A minute later the light was all but gone.
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 24, 2014, 01:42:19 am
Superb timing, Chris. I much prefer the second.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: RSL on August 24, 2014, 08:34:56 am
+1
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: Bob_B on August 24, 2014, 09:19:45 am
+1. What wonderful light!
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: David Eckels on August 24, 2014, 01:09:30 pm
Holy cow!
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: francois on August 25, 2014, 02:51:04 am
I love #2, not only it's cleaner (without the branches) but the position of the wings is more pleasant. Great light in both.
Congrats
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 25, 2014, 07:03:35 am
Thanks, everyone for the kind comments. It is always satisfying to get "that" shot, especially when you have but seconds to make significant exposure calculations. Sometimes it's all about luck; it happens and we all get that occasional exposure. Lately though, for me it is far more about knowing, being ready and taking the serendipitous moments as opportunities to hone knowledge skills. I think I'm getting better all the time.
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: David Eckels on August 25, 2014, 11:34:31 am
Lately though, for me it is far more about knowing, being ready and taking the serendipitous moments as opportunities to hone knowledge skills. I think I'm getting better all the time.
Chris, you should amplify on this; maybe a guest article for LL?
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 25, 2014, 12:00:40 pm
Chris, you should amplify on this; maybe a guest article for LL?

Not sure how I would do that without sounding all hoity-toity. It is an interesting sense though, to know what you know you need to do rather than taking 80 zillion "one of these should do it" shots. I think the most interesting aspect of it is that it comes without any heralding...just open your eyes, compose make and adjustment or two and do the shot...and knowing what's in the can is good. I still struggle to some degree with getting better shots in very low light, so while I am having a bit of a photographic epiphany, I am still also learning, though of course now with the knowledge that I'll never learn it all. Will Anyone?
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: David Eckels on August 25, 2014, 01:25:36 pm
Interesting insight nonetheless. BTW, it's not hoity toity to teach; you did it all your career! See, I thought it was that new camera you got... ;) ;)
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: Chris Calohan on August 25, 2014, 02:21:53 pm
I think I would be teaching the teachers, Dave, but thanks for the confidence.
Title: Re: Sunset Cruise
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 25, 2014, 03:23:46 pm
Splendid!