Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: louoates on August 22, 2014, 08:06:39 pm

Title: Found street shot
Post by: louoates on August 22, 2014, 08:06:39 pm
I found this from a series on street art* I shot a few years ago. Too "posed" for street?

* I found a lot of homeless art sculptures hanging from railroad viaducts on the near west of Chicago Loop where the men apparently lived. I don't recall this man as one of the artists but he loved to pose.
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: RSL on August 22, 2014, 09:33:16 pm
No, I don't think it's too posed, Lou. The bright area on the wall behind him surrounded by menacing darkness makes it interesting and foreboding. It's a good street shot.
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: slackercruster on August 22, 2014, 11:32:13 pm
OP, it is better termed a street portrait. But for this forum full of landscapers it would pass for a street photo.

Send in more or shoot more in that area. Looks promising. But move up in his face with a superwide.
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: rogerxnz on August 22, 2014, 11:33:14 pm
The man is obviously acting up/posing for the camera but I think it is quite valid to capture his posing as a reaction to being photographed.

What worries me is the area and objects in the left half of the image. What are they and why are they there?

They don't seem to me to be relevant and I would crop the left third off.
Roger
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: stamper on August 23, 2014, 03:52:42 am
A recent UK magazine reckoned that it was OK to shoot street without anybody in the frame and still be regarded as street. Candid head shots were Ok as well as posed. Quite a wide definition? I like this image and I wouldn't crop anything because it shows the environment he is living in.
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: seamus finn on August 23, 2014, 06:00:12 am
A recent UK magazine reckoned that it was OK to shoot street without anybody in the frame and still be regarded as street. Candid head shots were Ok as well as posed. Quite a wide definition? I like this image and I wouldn't crop anything because it shows the environment he is living in.

Agreed
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: louoates on August 23, 2014, 12:22:53 pm
The man is obviously acting up/posing for the camera but I think it is quite valid to capture his posing as a reaction to being photographed.

What worries me is the area and objects in the left half of the image. What are they and why are they there?

They don't seem to me to be relevant and I would crop the left third off.
Roger

I think you're talking about the underpass column and the stone wall on the left. Just helping to set the scene. Lots of large cities have similar RR underpasses, although Chicago has hundreds to choose from if you need a roof over your head. Here is another shot from that same day that shows the structure more clearly. Both color and B/W seem to work for this one. What do you think?
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: RSL on August 23, 2014, 12:55:32 pm
Here is another shot from that same day that shows the structure more clearly. Both color and B/W seem to work for this one. What do you think?

You're right, Lou. And in this case I think the color shot is the better of the two. The decorations on the little side-table lift the picture from poverty to poverty mixed with comedy.
Title: Re: Found street shot
Post by: William Walker on August 23, 2014, 02:44:29 pm
I think the processing on the second B&W is superb. It has just the look I try and find....