Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Capture One Q&A => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on August 22, 2014, 04:58:10 am

Title: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on August 22, 2014, 04:58:10 am
Capture One 7 (Mac version) works fine with my Leica raw files and with my dated Epson R-D1s ERF files.
Now I've bought a used R-D1x (I'm a nostalgic one), not supported by PhaseOne.
I can do all my editing in Capture One using the jpeg files, but I think that maybe it could be better to perviously convert the jpeg/ERF files to TIFF format and import them in Capture One.
I tried it, using Apple Preview to do the conversion, but Capture One can't deal with the TIFF's, and I wonder why...
So, please, can you suggest me a better way to process ERF files so as to stay with my usual Capture One workflow?
Thank you in advance.
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Paul2660 on August 22, 2014, 10:32:54 am
Does this camera output a raw?  I can't see any advantage to convert a jpg to a tif, nothing that matters can really be changed, the data is static.  Just the overall size of the file I guess. 

If the camera has a raw, will the adobe dng converter open them? and then convert to a dng.  This could be opened by ACR or LR.  C1 won't handle the dng, don't think that will ever happen.  If the output is only jpg, I would just stay with jpgs and work them accordingly in C1 or LR or other app.  LR also may open the raw, but you would have to check.  It still handles the old Nikon D1 and D1x stuff from 1999 and 2000. so your Epson may also be there.

Paul
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on August 22, 2014, 03:53:39 pm
Hi Paul, thank you for your reply.
The camera has a proprietary Epson raw format, .ERF.
As you have rightly suggested, I've converted the ERF files to DNG using Adobe DNG Converter.
DNG files are now perfectly usable in Capture One, and about 40% lighter than the original ERF files.

P.S.
Well, many compliments for your superb images and web site!
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Paul2660 on August 22, 2014, 04:16:12 pm
Roberto,

Great to see it's working for you and many thanks for the compliments.

Paul
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Keith Reeder on August 23, 2014, 02:46:06 am
C1 won't handle the dng, don't think that will ever happen

Capture One has always accepted Adobe-converted DNGs, Paul.
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Paul2660 on August 23, 2014, 08:25:21 am
Keith,

I have never been able to get Capture one to work with a DNG, created by Adobe, DNG tool. The file loads as a color thumbnail, briefly, then turns pink. 

I last tried this on 7.1x so I will take a D810 file and convert to a DNG via adobe DNG converter and try again. 

Paul
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Keith Reeder on August 23, 2014, 09:41:16 am
I've been using Adobe DNGs in Capture One, pending official support for my (Canon) cameras, since version 3.7, Paul - and DNG conversion of D810 NEFs has been explicitly recommended by users on the Phase One forum as a stop-gap for the same purpose.
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on August 23, 2014, 04:46:17 pm
Just another question about Adobe DNG Converter settings: what to choose between DNG version 1.1, 1.3 and 1.4? The last one version is definitely the best choice?
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Isleofgough on August 26, 2014, 08:46:58 pm
I have several old NEF images from a D1x and they import fine in Capture Pro. I get better renditions than from Lightroom
Title: Re: R-D1x raw file conversion workflow: suggestions please
Post by: Paul2660 on August 26, 2014, 09:49:57 pm
Yes, C1 works on the older Nikon D1x files.  I find that LR seems to have a better look with color, but C1 does a overall better job on the conversions of them.  The D1x was a very strange looking raw, Qimage back in the day did a great job on the D1x files as it worked out a different raw interpolation and created a larger file.  The D1x was one of the more unique early 6mp digital offerings for sure. 

Paul