Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on August 21, 2014, 09:09:37 am

Title: orchid dying
Post by: wmchauncey on August 21, 2014, 09:09:37 am
This orchid is breathing it's last...laid it on  black Plexiglas, lit it with 2 miniature led lights,
then stacked and merged to this 35" @300ppi image.
What might I do next time to get a "less sterile looking" effect?

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/dying-orchid-copy-1.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/dying-orchid-copy-1.jpg.html)
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: PeterAit on August 21, 2014, 09:55:22 am
Photograph it while still on the plant?
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: David Eckels on August 21, 2014, 10:42:06 am
 :D
Photograph it while still on the plant?
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: wmchauncey on August 21, 2014, 12:38:03 pm
Quote
Photograph it while still on the plant?
Great response...were it not dying.  Previously done like this...

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/layered-yellow-orchid-2-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/layered-yellow-orchid-2-copy.jpg.html)
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: shutterpup on August 23, 2014, 05:02:50 pm
This orchid is breathing it's last...laid it on  black Plexiglas, lit it with 2 miniature led lights,
then stacked and merged to this 35" @300ppi image.
What might I do next time to get a "less sterile looking" effect?

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/dying-orchid-copy-1.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/dying-orchid-copy-1.jpg.html)

Well...my problem with this is that looks anything but dying. My orchid blossoms' petals(same coloration as yours)have folded up on themselves. They do that still on the stem. I got my camera out to photograph mine little pile of dropped, dead blossoms(three in number) and my battery is dead. When it's recharged, I'll post mine as a counterpoint to yours.
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 23, 2014, 05:13:12 pm
Great response...were it not dying.  Previously done like this...

That one is really well done!
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 23, 2014, 08:13:23 pm
That one is really well done!
Yes, I like the still-alive one, too.
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: rogerxnz on August 25, 2014, 04:54:33 am
What might I do next time to get a "less sterile looking" effect?

I think you could try lighting the flower other than the way you have done, which seems to me to be full frontal lighting.

You could try side-lighting and back-lighting for starters. You could try to get some shape and texture into the petals.

At present, the petals look flat and uninteresting.

You could also try filling the frame more and avoid the dead-centre, front-on placement.
Roger
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: langier on August 25, 2014, 11:57:46 am
+1
Title: Re: orchid dying
Post by: rogerxnz on August 25, 2014, 02:51:42 pm
Great response...were it not dying.  Previously done like this...

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/layered-yellow-orchid-2-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/layered-yellow-orchid-2-copy.jpg.html)

That's a great shot.

How did you get all three flowers in focus? I think I would struggle with my setups to do this.
Roger