Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on August 20, 2014, 08:20:44 pm
-
For me, there's a lot of messages going on here. For those who don't know, the flag is Palestinian. Look out for the little sign at the bottom right...oh, if I have to be explaining this, it's a failure. I'll leave it to ye.
-
I donno, Seamus. Seems to me there's an awful lot going on and I don't really see a focus point. How about in B&W? Might subdue some of the confusion.
-
The awful lot going on seems to be the point of the photo, though for me the background figures are too cluttered/distracting.
-
Coming out with my hands up. I think I messed up on this one. As usual, RSL's feel for 'street' is on the button. Here's another version, b/w as suggested by Russ. Still not sure if it works.
-
Yes seamus this is the version you should have posted. I didn't comment on the first version because I felt the same way as RSL & jjj. This now a fine image. :)
-
I don't think being B+W makes any difference as you still have distracting background clutter. Also I liked the bit of green in each section of the foreground which linked the various incongruous items together.
-
Thanks, Stamper, you've redeemed me. Occasionally, I post in haste and regret at my l leisure. I don't know about yourself or anybody else here but I find it very difficult to judge my own work. Often, I would love if a peer were standing beside me, saying: 'That's a crap shot' instead of me thinking it's a masterpiece. I suppose that's a common fate here!
-
I don't think being B+W makes any difference as you still have distracting background clutter. Also I liked the bit of green in each section of the foreground which linked the various incongruous items together.
Thanks very much for that - it's just when you're shooting in the street, you don't have time to consider all these details. You see something and instinctively you take the shot and hope your camera settings are all ok for the moment and it's only when you open up Lightroom, Photoshop or whatever and find out that all is not well. You probably forgot to change the settings from the last shot, for example - some simple thing like that. It's not like putting up a tripod and waiting for the right light in a landscape shot - this is life happening in front of your eyes, and it's up to you to see, capture and make something meaningful out of it. A very difficult proposition, if I may say so.
-
With street photography, I find I do a lot of waiting to get the shot. I see something like this with signage that may be of interest, I often then wait to capture the appropriate moment.
.
-
I think it's a good fix, Seamus. The "Recycling Station" sign with the arrow pointing to the girl who is being herself obviously is the story, and Jeremy to the contrary notwithstanding, the color -- including the green -- was a distraction. Yes, there's still stuff going on in the background, but now I think it just adds context to the main point of the picture.
And, Jeremy, yes, street photography involves walking and waiting and grumbling and cursing and occasionally, after many, many miles and many, many hours feeling, after the click, that this time you scored one, often to find later that, son-of-a-bitch, you missed the focus or one of your subjects moved rapidly while the shutter was open, or you hadn't zeroed your camera after setting the ISO at 250,000 night before for a shot in the dark. It sure ain't easy work like landscape or cat pictures, but the effect on your soul when you do get something worthwhile is an experience to cherish.
-
Seamus,
I shudder to think of a luscious pint of the black stuff and drinking it out of a plastic pint.
-
Seamus,
I shudder to think of a luscious pint of the black stuff and drinking it out of a plastic pint.
Walter, if you were out as late as I was, you'd drink the black stuff out of your shoe.
-
I wonder if the first shot would be better if you had shot wide open and had the background just a softer blur - that way the flag and the message could stand clear of the background.
Myself I think the contrast between life in Palestine and the peaceful demeanour of the figures in the background make the message - maybe explore a bit more separation of subject from context.
Hey what do I know about street photography, JJJ seems to be on the money and to be delivering the goods.
Mal
-
mal,
Nobody shooting in the street is on the money - it's such a fortuitous exercise as to be self-indulgent.
-
Spot on Seamus.
-
First, I will admit to having no street credentials at all but here goes. Contrary to the crowd, I find the OP to be a far more interesting shot than the crop. The clutter and range of messages and activities tell me a lot more about the soul of that street corner and the people living there than the second version. Yes the story is clearer in the BW but IMO it has almost been reduced to a clever cliche. I think your instinct was right the first time. FIW.
Chuck