Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: rogerxnz on August 20, 2014, 03:22:33 pm

Title: Car door shadows
Post by: rogerxnz on August 20, 2014, 03:22:33 pm
What do you really think of this one?
Roger
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: wolfnowl on August 20, 2014, 03:33:40 pm
I think it would be better without the plant on the right, but cropping wouldn't work because you'd lose the sickle shape in the upper right.
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 20, 2014, 08:57:24 pm
I think it would be worth some time and effort spent trying to remove the plant via content-aware fill.
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: francois on August 21, 2014, 06:40:37 am
I think it would be worth some time and effort spent trying to remove the plant via content-aware fill.


Me too. It would produce a cleaner/simpler image and also, more puzzling.
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: rogerxnz on August 25, 2014, 06:20:44 am
Me too. It would produce a cleaner/simpler image and also, more puzzling.

I left the plant stalk in to help viewers understand what was creating the lower shadow! So, the image wasn't too puzzling.

Here is a version without the stalk.

I cannot decide if the image has any merit. What do you think?
Roger

Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 25, 2014, 10:15:37 am
I like the new version. A lot.
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: francois on August 26, 2014, 04:09:05 am
I also prefer the new version and by far.
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: Jim Pascoe on August 26, 2014, 07:44:04 am
I like the second version better but.......  I think because the LH side is out of focus it just looks like a mistake to me.  I like the feel, just not the execution as a photograph.

Jim
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: rogerxnz on August 27, 2014, 05:41:17 am
I like the second version better but.......  I think because the LH side is out of focus it just looks like a mistake to me.  I like the feel, just not the execution as a photograph.

Jim
I made this image as I was returning from a workshop on impressionist photography (sometimes known as "fuzzy photos"). It was handheld at 1/4 second and the shadow on the LH side is soft because of the slow shutter speed/limited DOF and it is the moving shadow of a moving plant.

I also find it hard to like out-of-focus images and I find it weird to have scrapped together a 60MP outfit only to be deliberately making soft images. Old habits die hard!

Incidentally, here is the RAW image.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.
Roger
Title: Re: Car door shadows
Post by: shawnino on August 27, 2014, 09:21:12 am
I like the second one... interesting.