Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on August 19, 2014, 12:18:04 pm
-
http://www.bing.com
Edited to add: screengrab attached.
-
There's a fine poster of Zabriskie Point in the same vein.
-
There's a fine poster of Zabriskie Point in the same vein.
Yes, I think there's one at the reception desk at Furnace Creek Ranch.
-
A couple of years ago I took a similar one of a mob of "photographers" lined up at Tunnel View in Yosemite. What they seemed to be missing was that the great photographs they were trying to emulate from that viewpoint often had far more to do with weather conditions than the actual landscape. What was even worse was that, amongst the 60 or so photographers lined up, there appeared to be at least two "organised" groups who were being ripped off by some unscrupulous photo-tour guides. I guess that where there are fools with too much money, there will always be someone willing to exploit their weaknesses.
What will the next step be? GPS co-ordinates for well-worn tripod holes?
-
What will the next step be? GPS co-ordinates for well-worn tripod holes?
As-long-as they have their fun and others have their fun mocking them.
As-far-as we know they may each be making their own wonderful wildlife pictures.
-
A couple of years ago I took a similar one of a mob of "photographers" lined up at Tunnel View in Yosemite. What they seemed to be missing was that the great photographs they were trying to emulate from that viewpoint often had far more to do with weather conditions than the actual landscape. What was even worse was that, amongst the 60 or so photographers lined up, there appeared to be at least two "organised" groups who were being ripped off by some unscrupulous photo-tour guides. I guess that where there are fools with too much money, there will always be someone willing to exploit their weaknesses.
What will the next step be? GPS co-ordinates for well-worn tripod holes?
For these guys neither the view nor the weather conditions matter. It's all about equipment. I've probably posted this story before, but since I'm an old guy I'll post it again:
On a weekend back in the sixties I took my family to one of the small towns in Colorado for an outing and to participate in a photo show. My third son, who was still in grade school, brought along a well-composed shot of a rock formation in a small canyon he'd made with his box camera and that we'd printed in my darkroom. When he won a prize, one of the contestants became very irate that HE hadn't won anything, while this kid with a box camera had. After all, he explained, he had the very latest and most expensive equipment it was possible to buy, so his work had to be better than work that came out of a box camera. I started cracking up and I was afraid he was going to try to deck me, but the guy in charge of the show stepped in and calmed things down. I was laughing all the way home.
-
For these guys neither the view nor the weather conditions matter. It's all about equipment. I've probably posted this story before, but since I'm an old guy I'll post it again:
On a weekend back in the sixties I took my family to one of the small towns in Colorado for an outing and to participate in a photo show. My third son, who was still in grade school, brought along a well-composed shot of a rock formation in a small canyon he'd made with his box camera and that we'd printed in my darkroom. When he won a prize, one of the contestants became very irate that HE hadn't won anything, while this kid with a box camera had. After all, he explained, he had the very latest and most expensive equipment it was possible to buy, so his work had to be better than work that came out of a box camera. I started cracking up and I was afraid he was going to try to deck me, but the guy in charge of the show stepped in and calmed things down. I was laughing all the way home.
Odd things are still happening in that vein: A few weeks ago I visited the photo contest section of a county fair. There were dozens of competition categories from landscapes to portraiture with many, many sub-categories. Hundreds of photo entries were displayed on bulletin boards with the required dozens of award ribbons in each sub-category. Regardless of the definition of the subcategory, at least 20% of the entries featured a dog, a cat, or a selfie...and most of the ribbons were awarded to them. ?? The worse category in terms of Crimes Against Photography was in the Digital Manipulation category where each entry must have had at least a dozen effects applied -- with the winner having three dozen applied effects to its credit. At that point I was longing to see a "box camera" category. The most boring photographs were in the adult divisions and the most interesting were in the grade school divisions. Perhaps there is some hope for photography's future after all.
-
I'll tell ya, Lou, when I go to the Orlando Museum I always walk down the hallway that has art on the walls from kids in grade school. Usually I see a lot more original stuff in that hallway than I see in the rest of the museum.
Trouble is, kids get that kind of originality trained out of 'em as they grow up, and unfortunately our new world of Facebook, iPads, etc., etc., seems to hasten the process.
-
I'll tell ya, Lou, when I go to the Orlando Museum I always walk down the hallway that has art on the walls from kids in grade school. Usually I see a lot more original stuff in that hallway than I see in the rest of the museum.
Trouble is, kids get that kind of originality trained out of 'em as they grow up, and unfortunately our new world of Facebook, iPads, etc., etc., seems to hasten the process.
Kids shoot what interests them the way they see it. Older folks shoot what is supposed to be "good" according to others. It would be better for the young to de-teach the old.
-
Once again it comes down to the old saying: "What a great photo! You must have a wonderful (box) camera!"
-
Once again it comes down to the old saying: "What a great photo! You must have a wonderful (box) camera!"
....but imagine going to a dinner party and telling your host/hostess, "That was a wonderful meal. You must have a great set of pots and pans."
-
It is rather Ironic that the thread is about originality and the last two comments are anything other than original? ::)
-
It is rather Ironic that the thread is about originality and the last two comments are anything other than original? ::)
So, you don't appreciate irony, Stamper?
:-*
-
For these guys neither the view nor the weather conditions matter. It's all about equipment. I've probably posted this story before, but since I'm an old guy I'll post it again:
On a weekend back in the sixties I took my family to one of the small towns in Colorado for an outing and to participate in a photo show. My third son, who was still in grade school, brought along a well-composed shot of a rock formation in a small canyon he'd made with his box camera and that we'd printed in my darkroom. When he won a prize, one of the contestants became very irate that HE hadn't won anything, while this kid with a box camera had. After all, he explained, he had the very latest and most expensive equipment it was possible to buy, so his work had to be better than work that came out of a box camera. I started cracking up and I was afraid he was going to try to deck me, but the guy in charge of the show stepped in and calmed things down. I was laughing all the way home.
On the same lines I've just got back from a bike trip to France where I was honoured to have a midday meal with a gentleman of that country who could probably be best described as leading the peasant way of life. This was not some fancy life style choice but the way he has always lived, from his garden and surrounding woods in a remarkably genuine manner. He was a magnificent figure with such character in his face that I was itching to capture it but the D3 was simply not equal to the task, it needed something like a box camera to do him justice, it needed the grain and purity of film to portray his connection to the rural world from which he had emerged and will, no doubt, return. I've never been a fan of digital for true portraits and this occasion simply confirmed my thoughts. The Nikon never made it out of the bag.
-
Would it not have been better to take an "inferior" image than none at all?
-
Would it not have been better to take an "inferior" image than none at all?
No, not really. I guess it was a question of respect, pride and dignity, besides which I would never have been happy with the result.
-
On the same lines I've just got back from a bike trip to France where I was honoured to have a midday meal with a gentleman of that country who could probably be best described as leading the peasant way of life. This was not some fancy life style choice but the way he has always lived, from his garden and surrounding woods in a remarkably genuine manner. He was a magnificent figure with such character in his face that I was itching to capture it but the D3 was simply not equal to the task, it needed something like a box camera to do him justice, it needed the grain and purity of film to portray his connection to the rural world from which he had emerged and will, no doubt, return. I've never been a fan of digital for true portraits and this occasion simply confirmed my thoughts. The Nikon never made it out of the bag.
A quote worthy of being in Private Eye's 'Pseud's Corner'
-
A pet hate of mine is when working and have taken time to find a different/interesting angle, other photographers then start to gather around me. Or take photos over my shoulder of my subjects.
-
Something in a similar vein from a few years ago. :)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4020/4660135218_970773eaea_z.jpg)
-
A very nice image. Unusual.
-
Slightly funny that these 'hivemind' photographers are themselves a subject of a more original photo than each one of them might take.
That said, I'm of the opposing opinion. There are MANY more factors that make a photo than where you are standing. Each one of those guys could be creating a different photo of the scene.
Live and let live.
-
A quote worthy of being in Private Eye's 'Pseud's Corner'
Well send it in then, I'm sure that establishment lackey, Hislop, will be be greatly humoured.
On the other hand you could just sit there and sneer.
-
When one student asked him how to find Tao, Chuang Tzu replied, "Tao is everywhere and you can easily find it in shit."
-
Well send it in then, I'm sure that establishment lackey, Hislop, will be be greatly humoured.
Don't think you understand what lackey means.
On the other hand you could just sit there and sneer.
Or sneer.
-
Don't think you understand what lackey means.
Or sneer.
Nor do you if you don't see him and the whole Private Eye/HIGNFY charade as anything else other than the licensed yapping of the establishments pet lap dog.