Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on August 19, 2014, 11:47:42 am

Title: Framing studies
Post by: armand on August 19, 2014, 11:47:42 am
Various shots; I'm more towards the ones that look just at the details but I'm curious to see what others are thinking
Title: Re: Framing studies
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 19, 2014, 01:44:51 pm
My pick is the third one. The strange shadow at the bottom of the door makes it feel as if something ominous is lurking on the other side, giving added emphasis to the warning on the floor.
Title: Re: Framing studies
Post by: aduke on August 19, 2014, 02:13:25 pm
As one who likes photographs of details, I find that #1 is too simple, too symmetric, and the details do not seem to be that interesting. On the other hand, #2 is fascinating. The lighting, colors and paint details are lovely. In addition it leaves an unresolvable question, why are there handles on a door that should not be opened from this side.

The third one is too sparse but appears to be some kind of joke; why have a door that can't be used?

The last one seems to be too complete. Also, its lighting is too harsh.

If these were mine, I would hang #2 and keep #3 up for a while to determine its staying power.

Alan
Title: Re: Framing studies
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 19, 2014, 04:20:40 pm
My choice is number 2 - it has the appearance of an illustration.

It would be a great page in a picture book that fits into a story.

Lovely image.



Mal
Title: Re: Framing studies
Post by: James Clark on August 19, 2014, 05:46:48 pm
2 for me.
Title: Re: Framing studies
Post by: William Walker on August 20, 2014, 04:48:16 am
2 for me.

I really think 2 is very good.
Title: Re: Framing studies
Post by: wolfnowl on August 20, 2014, 03:48:27 pm
I'd also go with #2. I think #4 tries to crowd too much in and #1 lacks interest. #3 does have something going for it.

Don't want to jump your thread, but it reminded me of this:

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4020/4482994185_d930aab7ac_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/7Q9vZc)Emergency Exit Only (https://flic.kr/p/7Q9vZc) by wolfnowl (https://www.flickr.com/people/57206863@N00/), on Flickr