Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: uintaangler on August 18, 2014, 08:56:02 am

Title: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: uintaangler on August 18, 2014, 08:56:02 am
No one can follow this Forum and not have learned that Epson Wide Format printers are prone to clogging problems
And those problems are increased if you don't print on a regular, if not daily, basis
What is the protocol when purchasing a Brand New Epson 4900?
Thanks.
Title: Re: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: Some Guy on August 18, 2014, 09:14:33 am
Evidently the ink can separate out and cause issues after two years as they put expiration dates on them.  I know Jon Cone recommends agitating the carts at least once a month and one guy in his forum had the vivid magenta separate out in one month in the clearish refill carts.

If no ink was ever pumped through the unit it might not be an issue with the printer as some sit on shelves a long time prior to purchase, just the dated ink might be a concern.

SG
Title: Re: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: digitaldog on August 18, 2014, 09:37:28 am
There is a shipping fluid in the lines that is intended for long term storage. They come from overseas and Epson has no idea how long they will sit in a warehouse so this fluid is used and once you start the unit for the first time, it is flushed with actual ink. After that, you've got real ink in the lines and heads.
Title: Re: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: PeterAit on August 18, 2014, 09:43:18 am
Epsons are not nearly as prone to clogs as some would have you believe. The person with a bad clog will report on this group, but the 500 with no serious clogs (that includes me) rarely say anything. That beingg said, clogs do happen. If you don't charge the printer with ink you won't get a clog, of course, but the included inks might get too old.

I am curious as to why you would by a printer 2 years before you will use it. In 2 years you will likely have a newer Epson model available and/or discounted 4900s.

The printer makes gorgeous prints. I used one for ~3 years (again, with no serious clogs).
Title: Re: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: JayWPage on August 18, 2014, 11:24:33 am
I wouldn't be surprised if the printers sometimes sit for a year or two after they are manufactured in warehouses before eventually being sold. However, the ink cartridges will have a best before date printed on them and that is probably the best indicator of how long one could wait before starting up the printer.
Title: Re: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: Wayne Fox on August 18, 2014, 01:24:51 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the printers sometimes sit for a year or two after they are manufactured in warehouses before eventually being sold. However, the ink cartridges will have a best before date printed on them and that is probably the best indicator of how long one could wait before starting up the printer.
I would agree that the ink date would be a good indicator.  I’ve never seen or sold a printer with expired ink ... in fact not even close to expired.

In today’s “just in time” manufacturing processes I don’t believe the printers would sit that long.  It isn’t uncommon for Epson to be out of stock for a printer for a month or two, which indicates they err in the side of not enough inventory on the larger printers.  And I don’t think many retailers can afford to sit on a printer for that long.  I suppose there is an off chance that you would run across one purchased by a retailer and they just couldn’t move it, but many retailers don’t even stock the printers, as you can get one delivered from the distributer in a couple of days.
Title: Re: How long can you have a Brand New Epson Wide Format before you MUST make a print
Post by: mcbroomf on September 29, 2014, 12:34:59 pm
Not an Epson, but I thought it worth adding to this thread as I've just started up a Canon 8300 that's been sitting on it's stand for nearly a year.  I expected to start it up soon after it was delivered but for a variety of reasons I doubted I'd use it, and rather than install the inks then have to leave it idle or run periodic test prints I decided to leave it.

No issues starting up, inks all loaded OK, head alignment OK, calibration OK.  I ran a couple of small test prints on the awful calibration paper supplied and no issues .. maybe a slight green caste.  I'll load up some Red River Satin Pro tonight and do a couple more test prints.  A 36" roll of Hahnemuhle Baryta on it's way  :)

The only downside is that I may have to buy a paper profiling setup as I'm coming from an HP3100 and have only made in-printer profiles to date...