Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on August 17, 2014, 07:17:51 pm

Title: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: Todd Suttles on August 17, 2014, 07:17:51 pm
This is the only out house I have ever photographed; never wanted to add to the world's more than abundant collection of door or outhouse photographs. But since it went with the Fancy House I posted I put it up. C&C on PP would be appreciated any way. I haven't really processes a B&W like this before. Raw was maxed on both ends with shade covered foreground and sunlit garden out from under. Thanks if you have any suggestions. -t
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 17, 2014, 08:22:45 pm
I think your processing works very well here. It looks gloomy, which fits the dilapidated out house.
And it's not a mean standard outhouse shot. Nice.

Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: David Eckels on August 20, 2014, 10:59:37 am
What Eric said.
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: RSL on August 20, 2014, 11:55:27 am
That structure has a familiar ring as I hark back to summers in northern Michigan when I was growing up.
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: wolfnowl on August 20, 2014, 03:41:21 pm
I think it works well, from framing on up. Nicely done.

Mike.

P.S. Some old friends of mine had an outhouse on their property. They put artwork in it and called it the Lou'vre.
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 20, 2014, 09:01:11 pm
the Lou'vre.

  :D
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: James Clark on August 20, 2014, 09:13:49 pm
I like the idea and the post-processing, but I think the framing is a little off.  Both the tree and the outhouse are in the corners/edges of the frame and the void in the middle draws me in and away from the subject(s) of the image.  Perhaps a few steps around to the left of where you were to give more angle on the outhouse and bring the outhouse and tree closer in-frame?

 
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: stamper on August 21, 2014, 03:37:08 am
I concur with what Eric said.
Title: Re: Fancy House Plumbing
Post by: stamper on August 21, 2014, 03:40:57 am
James I don't think I could concur with what you saw. The gap in the middle is small and you need space between the two focal points; the tree and the outhouse. The fact that the overhanging branches are touching the outhouse means there isn't any separation between the two. Perfectly framed imo.