Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on August 17, 2014, 07:59:54 am

Title: In pursuit
Post by: stamper on August 17, 2014, 07:59:54 am
Deliberately underexposed!
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: HSakols on August 17, 2014, 09:08:23 am
I like the way the guy on the bike is at the same level as the person crossing the street.  Street photography is much harder than I thought. 
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 17, 2014, 01:05:30 pm
Another nice one, Stamper.
The "noir" look fits it well.
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: shawnino on August 17, 2014, 02:32:05 pm
Nice image... really lets my mind imagine a story.
Good call on the B&W.
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 17, 2014, 04:21:21 pm
Now what's in that box?

Maybe a new pair of jean?

All humour aside - an image worth the time.



Mal
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: seamus finn on August 17, 2014, 07:28:28 pm
Well, its content is great but a harsh for my tones - maybe tweak the shadow and black and white stuff, a little less contrast maybe. Otherwise, excellent.



Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: RSL on August 17, 2014, 09:45:52 pm
I've been coming back to it since this morning, Stamper. It's a fine street shot, but I've been having the same problem Seamus is having. Why did you "deliberately" underexpose it? That seems counterintuitive since you can shift a properly exposed picture in post to get the degree of exposure you're after. Then, why the exaggerated contrast and the blocked shadows? It's certainly striking as it is, but I wonder if it might be more effective if it were less harsh.
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: stamper on August 18, 2014, 03:19:54 am
Russ and Seamus you are probably correct. At the time of processing I decided that was the look I wanted. My vision was to underexpose it and give it a menacing look as if the cyclist was pursuing her for the boxes content or something else...? I will have another look at the file that came from LR to PS. It didn't have the underexposed processing. :)
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: stamper on August 18, 2014, 10:28:17 am
A different version as requested. :)
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: RSL on August 18, 2014, 11:12:15 am
Yeah! It's not as immediately striking as the first version, but now everything's there. In my own estimation it's a better street shot because more important detail is available. Good shooting, Stamper.
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: stamper on August 18, 2014, 11:33:18 am
Thanks Russ. :)
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 18, 2014, 11:45:30 am
To me, the new version loses all of the nice sense of menace the first one has. It now seems bland. Perhaps somewhere in between???
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 18, 2014, 03:22:07 pm
second version may have more clarity (read visual information) however like Eric I would hazard a guess that obscured detail and the general darkness added more emotional response.

What does the photographer want, Stamper?



Mal
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: stamper on August 19, 2014, 03:22:53 am
I stated my reason for posting the first image which I prefer. At the end of the day it is a matter of taste?
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 19, 2014, 08:35:35 am
I stated my reason for posting the first image which I prefer. At the end of the day it is a matter of taste?
And Mal and I think you've got pretty good taste, Stamper.    ;)
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 19, 2014, 04:16:09 pm
Stamper


I hope you didn't think I was being critical of your image - rather I was pointing out that some folk will like things fairly literal and others want more of an impression.

One of the reasons I photograph with an IQ180 and then overlay my images with soft blurred effects is because I sort of like both. I like a viewer to get an initial impression and then be able to dig into the image at close range and see the texture and detail of real life that lays just below the initial impression of my images.

I also happen to like the fact that other folk like yourself see life very differently and I find it refreshing to pop onto the forum each morning and take a look at what people have posted.

Keep them coming is what I have to say.


Mal
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: stamper on August 20, 2014, 04:28:04 am
Thanks to all for the feedback. :)
Title: Re: In pursuit
Post by: William Walker on August 20, 2014, 04:45:01 am
Yeah! It's not as immediately striking as the first version, but now everything's there. In my own estimation it's a better street shot because more important detail is available. Good shooting, Stamper.

The first one had me thinking more about the processing than the picture, if that makes sense...