Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mal mcilwraith on August 17, 2014, 04:44:36 am

Title: left behind to weep
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 17, 2014, 04:44:36 am
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/abstractions/7158-left-behind.jpg)

How did this one tree escape the clearing that has occurred in this area - here just the ghost of the tree wails for lost children and future offspring.


Mal

Title: Re: left behind to weep
Post by: luxborealis on August 17, 2014, 08:02:17 am
Beautiful, thoughtful work, Mal. Your interpretation of the photo (photos?), the colours, the movement, the overall low contrast all work.

Is top right meant to be significantly darker? It seems to disrupt the overall balance of the work.
Title: Re: left behind to weep
Post by: mal mcilwraith on August 17, 2014, 04:06:40 pm
Terry

As always your observations are helpful.

I have been so caught up in certain parts of the image that I had missed the dark corner.

The feeling was to have the tree and the expression of loss sweeping away to the viewer's left.

Now does that corner need to be as dark as it is?


I suspect not - so I will give it a tweak.


Thank you.


Mal
Title: Re: left behind to weep
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 17, 2014, 05:13:37 pm
It doesn't need much of a tweak. I can'y explain why, but it seems to fit the mood somehow. The tree is reaching toward the darkness, even though the wind is carrying everything in the other direction.

Wonderfully expressive.