Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: KenS on August 16, 2014, 04:38:07 pm

Title: Can't update to CC (2014)
Post by: KenS on August 16, 2014, 04:38:07 pm
I'm running Photoshop CC 14.2.1 x64 (Windows 7) and just tried to update to CC (2014).  Using the CC menu Help/Update I get a message that all apps are up to date, but they are not. 
I placed a post in the Adobe forums and was directed to this set of 4 solutions.
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/aam-lists-removed-apps-date.html

I believe it was Richard Feynman, the late and famous physicist who said something like, "If you've got more than one solution you don't have a good one".

I tried Solution 2 as it appeared the least risky. When I attempt to delete the file opm.db I get a message that CC is using it and won't let me delete it.  This occurs even after I do a computer re-boot and don't open Photoshop.
I tried Solution 3, downloaded the new version and install was successful.  However when I started CC (2014) I immediately got an error message about clc.exe, whatever that is.  In addition I was asked to supply a URL but didn't know why or what to supply.  Finally, my presets would not transfer from my current working version 14.2.1.  I had set a System Restore point prior to installing CC (2014) and restored my system to its prior state, i.e got rid of CC (2014).
Solution 1 appears to lead to Solution 3, i.e. requires a new install of CC (2014) which was problematic.
Solution 4 depends on Solution 1 and in addition requires running CCcleaner, a registry cleaner which, as I understand, may make a mess of ones registry.

I found some previous posts in this Forum which suggest to me others have had problems updating to CC (2014).

There are only a few features I am interested in the new version but I'm disappointed at the level of effort and risk it appears to require to update. My current version has been working fine since January.  I could just put off the update for 6 months when I am more motivated, but I am hoping someone can provide a solution I am comfortable with now.
Title: Re: Can't update to CC (2014)
Post by: Pictus on August 16, 2014, 11:00:11 pm
For the solution #2:
Click in the Creative Cloud’s system tray icon and make it quit.
http://www.viewmoreinfo.com/posts/9370162/issues/adobe/6849683/adobe-creative-cloud-issues.html
Or go to the Task Manager(CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and kill any Adobe stuff running.
Title: Re: Can't update to CC (2014)
Post by: Remo Nonaz on August 20, 2014, 03:21:14 pm
I just posted a similar problem last night. Today, I found a link to Adobe support with the following suggestion. I have not tried this yet but I am hopeful.

Adobe Application Manager Doesn’t Show Updates
If you know that an update is available but no updates show up when you select Help>Updates… try the following solution:

1. Quit Photoshop
2. Remove the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) Cache by clearing the contents following folder:

Mac: /Volumes/%Volume Name%/Users/%Username%/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0
Win: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0
3. Launch Photoshop and select Help>Updates… to check for updates
Title: Re: Can't update to CC (2014)
Post by: fdisilvestro on August 20, 2014, 03:49:10 pm

3. Launch Photoshop and select Help>Updates… to check for updates[/i]

This will never get you from CC to CC 2014, they are different applications. You need to install Photoshop 2014 from scratch.