Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on August 15, 2014, 09:22:16 pm

Title: Below the falls
Post by: chuckn on August 15, 2014, 09:22:16 pm
Took this in Yellowstone last month. Comments???
Title: Re: Below the falls
Post by: luxborealis on August 15, 2014, 11:09:25 pm
Great sense of power in the water in mystery ad to its origin. Although the title tells us, we can't see it. So often everything in the photo is "explained" to us - I'm the worst one for it - so this is refreshing.

Compositionally, my eye wants to follow the path of the mist but is drawn by the lit foreground. Consider bringing up the mist values and lowering the background values to help "contain" the flow.

Also, have you considered B&W?
Title: Re: Below the falls
Post by: chuckn on August 16, 2014, 06:31:39 pm
Terry,

I took your advice and applied it to a black and white image. Lowered the back ground by 1/2 exposure and bumped up the highlights. Also burned in the edges just a little. This image is full frame (not cropped). I think I like this one better.Thanks.

Chuck.
Title: Re: Below the falls
Post by: RSL on August 16, 2014, 09:36:15 pm
Terry's right more often than he's wrong, Chuck, but this is a picture that demands color. It's a fine shot, by the way.