Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: James Clark on August 14, 2014, 05:22:27 pm

Title: Omni, San Diego
Post by: James Clark on August 14, 2014, 05:22:27 pm
Here's a little architecture.

Title: Re: Omni, San Diego
Post by: shawnino on August 14, 2014, 07:06:30 pm
Love it. Cool, clean feel. Detail, focus. Careful crop choice.
Title: Re: Omni, San Diego
Post by: luxborealis on August 15, 2014, 12:21:15 pm
Great lines and shapes. Ideal crop. Could/should it be brighter. I somehow feel like I'm looking at it through a dark tube or through sunglasses; that metal and glass should be gleaming.
Title: Re: Omni, San Diego
Post by: RSL on August 15, 2014, 02:06:16 pm
+1
Title: Re: Omni, San Diego
Post by: James Clark on August 15, 2014, 02:39:58 pm
Great lines and shapes. Ideal crop. Could/should it be brighter. I somehow feel like I'm looking at it through a dark tube or through sunglasses; that metal and glass should be gleaming.

Thanks for the input.  It's actually a grey building and I used a polarizer to kill glare from the building.  I'll need to go back and see how much I can lighten the building before I start to lose contrast.

Edit - not much :). As soon as I lighten the building I lose texture in the building panels.
Title: Re: Omni, San Diego
Post by: luxborealis on August 15, 2014, 11:14:28 pm
Thanks for the input.  It's actually a grey building and I used a polarizer to kill glare from the building.  I'll need to go back and see how much I can lighten the building before I start to lose contrast.

Edit - not much :). As soon as I lighten the building I lose texture in the building panels.

It seems like those panels are about 85 to 90% (10 to 15% below pure white) – have you tried raising just the Whites and reducing the Highlights (assuming you are using Lightroom)? That combination helps to maintain highlight detail and adds sparkle to the image without reducing contrast (it actually increases it).
Title: Re: Omni, San Diego
Post by: James Clark on August 15, 2014, 11:20:27 pm
It seems like those panels are about 85 to 90% (10 to 15% below pure white) – have you tried raising just the Whites and reducing the Highlights (assuming you are using Lightroom)? That combination helps to maintain highlight detail and adds sparkle to the image without reducing contrast (it actually increases it).

Indeed I did.  The fundamental problem is that the metal tone and the blue sky are not as different as one might expect.   The windows are blue-ish too.  I love the graphic image but the base color is conspiring against me ;)