Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mal mcilwraith on August 13, 2014, 12:13:50 am
-
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/malmac/albums/images-other/7155-volcano-4.jpg)
Tanna Island where there are no safety rails or hard hats - yet anyway.
This volcano can be heard rumbling and bubbling and grumbling from 20km away.
Mal
-
Stunning! I like how you included the people in your frame. It gives a good perspective, pointing to the crater. The sky is also nicely lit, just enough to avoid stealing the show and making the rest of the frame uninteresting.
Tanna Island seems like a good place for volcano enthusiasts.
-
Wow - what a location! The image has impact and the addition of the people gives it good scale as well. I think I'd like to see just a fraction more light on the right hand person - the darkness there and his clothing just make him blend into the background a little too much. However, I can't fault the moment for the sun and light flowing through the steam and smoke rising from the crater - it's got a real atmospheric feel to it that makes one want to be there to experience it all.
Great place and amazing that one is allowed so close. Thanks for sharing and kind regards, N.
-
A grand shot, Mal, especially from a guy who's 2002 years old. Whooda thunk it?
-
A grand shot, Mal, especially from a guy who's 2002 years old. Whooda thunk it?
Check again in a year, Russ. I'll bet he will still be 2002 years old. ;)
Fine shot, Mal!
-
Wow - what a location! The image has impact and the addition of the people gives it good scale as well. I think I'd like to see just a fraction more light on the right hand person - the darkness there and his clothing just make him blend into the background a little too much. However, I can't fault the moment for the sun and light flowing through the steam and smoke rising from the crater - it's got a real atmospheric feel to it that makes one want to be there to experience it all.
Great place and amazing that one is allowed so close. Thanks for sharing and kind regards, N.
Owen
I take your point about the person on the right getting lost - I did lighten the girl's hair a tad and also the drink bottle behind him on the ground, to try and make sure the viewer didn't miss them altogether.
However I guess I was looking landscape with people, not people with landscape - maybe I havn't got it quite as good as it could be.
Thank you for the feedback.
Mal
-
I think this image is amazing.
I agree with everyone who says the inclusion of the people is well done.
For me, though, the texture of the vapour/smoke is what makes the image stand out.
-
I echo much of what has been said. However, while I find the context amazing (people near an erupting volcano) and some of the photographic elements compelling (the layers of steam, the near-black rock, the far off swarm glow of a late sky), the photo overall loses impact for me as it is so dark. The whole photo could be lightened and any highlights that become pinned can be adjusted downwards slightly.
Hope this helps.
-
Terry
Thanks for the thoughts. Getting the levels just right is often a problem.
Even though I have a colour corrected screen, I still find a significant variation in what an image looks like when it is viewed on another monitor.
This is not code for, it's just your monitor. It is really an acknowledgement that this image may well be too dark.
Thanks
Mal
-
Terry
Thanks for the thoughts. Getting the levels just right is often a problem.
Even though I have a colour corrected screen, I still find a significant variation in what an image looks like when it is viewed on another monitor.
This is not code for, it's just your monitor. It is really an acknowledgement that this image may well be too dark.
Thanks
Mal
There is a difference when editing against a dark background or light background, then displaying on the opposite. You probably have the LR Develop module set to white background, but if you don't, that may be the difference.
-
Terry
I don't actually use lightroom (LR) but Capture 1 and the CS6.
Capture 1 has a darkish grey background as does my CS6 - so maybe that is part of the situation.
I colour calibrate my screen using a Color Monkey.
Mal