Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Codger on August 12, 2014, 01:08:35 am
-
In July I purchased a new D610 and the terrific 16-35 f4 VR zoom, and have been adjusting my thinking from years of medium format film work. I'm looking ahead to adding to my kit and keep reading about the 35-70 zoom that apparently was quite popular fifteen years ago. My question is, does it hold up to a current 24 mp sensor and produce good, sharp images capable of being printed, say, 20"x30"? I value optics over any weight or size concerns. What do you think?
-
I'd say the Contax mount Zeiss 35–70/3.4 can hang with today's sensors. I've used mine a bit on a Sony A7r with fine results. Galen Rowell's well-known Potala Palace rainbow photo was taken with a Nikon 35–70mm, but whether or not that lens stands up to today's more detail-fixated scrutiny...dunno.
-Dave-
-
I cannot speak to the 35-70, not having used one in 10 years or so. However 2 other nikkor lenses to consider,
24-70 F2.8, is an excellent lens. It's going to over lap on the 16-35 a bit however, but optically it's a great lens. Also the latest Tamron 24-70 is a great lens.
Nikon 24-120. This lens seems to be my carry lens more often than not. The range it has is more to my liking and overall it produces very good files. Mine is prone to vignetting at 24mm.
In the field I tend to carry the 24-120 with the 14-24, the 14-24 being my workhorse, as it's still the best wide zoom I have ever used, with amazing image quality.
Paul
-
Are you talking about the Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D?
If so, it will really stuggle on 24MP. Even on my D700 a 50mm and longer it took f/5.6 to get the corners look reasonable. I flares (veiling) like nothing you ever used too. I keep mine for ebay auction pictures for being lazy and the odd 35mm macro mode.
You would be better served by a modern 24-70. The nikon verion is due for an update (canon version is certainly better) and the tamron may be better.
-
New 24-70mm Nikkor and Canon zooms are "good enough" with anything. Older ones not so with modern 24+ MPix bodies.
-
The Sigma 24=105 zoom is worth a look. I use it on a D600 and have been quite pleased.
-
I have a really sharp print of 24 x36 from a Sony Nex7 and their 24mm lens, So your current combo should work quite well.
IMHO it is more about technique than equipment.